Click for Burger Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Perko

Bosch Govenor Failure 12 valve mtu 183 te 92

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Geobsum, Sep 26, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

If it were my boat I would research those alternatives very closely and have a heart to heart with my insurance broker (or my lawyer) about the type of casualties that are covered. There might even be a clause that covers losses created by "operator error."

If I were to try deep frying a turkey in the galley and forgot I left the burner on and the stove was destroyed when flaming oil spilled all over it, wouldn't it be replaced by insurance? So, what is the difference when it has been established that the engine failed after the operator placed the gear in neutral?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If you can prove that the emergency shutdowns were maintained and they failed to shutdown the engine, then possibly you can get the insurance to pay via that route. I don't think there are any inherent issues (defects) and have not heard of any on the Bosch side of things on 12v183's.
  3. Geobsum

Geobsum Member

For everyone who responded here is the photo taken at rpm showing that the full load stop in the intermediate governor housing broke and was loose and moving around in the housing and probably caused the jam and over speed. No other problem was found.

Attached Files:

4. Geobsum

Geobsum Member

Sorry wrong photo

Attached Files:

5. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Interesting. Have you talked to your insurer about this? It seems like the casualty was not a "normal wear and tear" issue but a catastrophic event due to (rare?) material failure. Ask the shop to document the manufacturer's recommended replacement time for the part that broke (that should be fun) and ask them how many similar failures have occurred. This may be well worth pursuing an insurance claim.
  6. Geobsum

Geobsum Member

7. Geobsum

Geobsum Member

RPM issued a report noting the failure and stating may have possibly been due to fatigue because of age of engine and hours of service, and confirmed no other cause found. I argued and proved low hours (1045) thru three surveys over the years. Also got them to admit that the broken arm is not a serviceable part and they have never seen this failure before, Ever! My insurance company is evaluating.
  8. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Have you looked at and read your policy closely? Insurance policies as well as how the companies respond varies widely. Sometimes it's just a very few words that make the difference. Some policies while they would not cover the part failure would cover the damage caused as a result of it. Other policies would not. There are generally clauses in the policy excluding or including. Out policy does cover latent defects. Many don't.
  9. Geobsum

Geobsum Member

I'm happy to report that my insurance company has assured me of coverage and has authorized me to order a new long block from RPM. It has been a two month battle which was won in part my the help and advice from this forum!
    The last fight was they wanted to depreciate the long block down to 30% and then apply a $9800 deductible. I had to go over the adjuster's head to higher management where I convinced them that the quote that I got was for a used engine not a new one and no depreciation should apply. Management agreed and has waived depreciation but I will still have the deductible.
    Thank you all again.
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

That is good news. Are they also going to stump up for the removal and refit of the engine?
  11. Geobsum

Geobsum Member

Yes, so they have assured me in writing subject to review as the work proceeds.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Glad to hear it's working out for you. It might be wise to inspect the other engine and replace that part as well, before it breaks.
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

That is excellent advice