Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger

Boat paints

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by sabrejocky, Nov 8, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. sabrejocky

sabrejocky New Member

Which one is better or is the best Alwgrip or Imron and why?

I am looking in to having my 1990 High Tech painted and am looking for input on what to use; where to have the work done (and not having it brake the bank); spray or tip and roll.:confused:

Cor
  2. calicaptain

calicaptain New Member

Awlgrip is kind of your gold standard in the yachting industry. You also might have trouble getting someone to spray Imron. I am in california and the state labeled it a toxic chemical and most people won't use it. With that said, Imron is bullet proof when down right. I have sprayed sportfishs with Imron and engine parts (great for engines and engine rooms).
    As for location, depending on the boat size, Rybovich in West Palm Beach, or stay up north near Vero in a smaller yard, probably cheaper. Or do the prep yourself and have someone else spray it.
  3. nightingale

nightingale New Member

Boat painting

Nightingale Marine based out of Murrelle Marine in Lantana Fl will roll and tip your boat like no other. The results will make you a believer! Contact Buzzie Nightingale at 954-240-3744
  4. MacMcL

MacMcL Senior Member

There has been quite a bit of interest lately in a newcomer on the marine scene, Nautico paint. They have been supplying paint to the commercial aviation industry for many, many years. It is a very high performance paint with high solids and low VOC emissioniions. Also, it comes with a much longer guarantee than Awlgrip. Those that have applied it, like it. Time will tell on its durability, but coming from the commercial avaiation sector, their product has been subjected to more rigourous testing than you can imagine. We will see!
  5. Hawk

Hawk Senior Member

Anyone have any more info on Nautica paint such as a website or any contact info.

Has anyone on this site had any direct experience with this product?

Thanks
  6. MacMcL

MacMcL Senior Member

I stand corrected. The actual name of the product is Nauticoat. Broward Marine Repair and Refit in Fort Lauderdale has been using the product with some success. The product is distributed by Shield Finishes, Inc. Contact Bruce McCampbell (bruce@shieldfinishes.com) 772-342-8310.

By the way, I have no financial interest in Nauticoat, it just appears to me to be a good product.