Click for Furuno Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Cross

Blowing 30AMP fuses

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Kevin Ledet, Sep 9, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Kevin Ledet

Kevin Ledet New Member

My wife and I just purchased a 37' Jefferson for the first time and when we are connected to shoal power either the port or the starboard side we blow the 30 AMP fuse just down from the shoal connecting. We do not trip any of the breakers in the circuit panel. When I go to change the fuse it is very HOT..
    This happened at two different marinas.
    Any sugguestion ???
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Welcome to YF Kevin. The word "shoal" is confusing me, but do you have a meter on that line? If the 30amp breakers aren't tripping, you're drawing less than 30 amps. I'd have to assume that either the fuses are worn or there's a problem with the wires leading to them.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Shoal Connect? -> Dock side power?
    Dockside Fuses (Docks still use fuses?)?
    37' Jeff power requirements? Dual 125Vac @ 30Amps? Dual 125Vas @ 50Amp? Single 240Vac @ 50Amps?
    If it's an older Jeff, you may have 125@50 inlets and your drawing from 30A outlets.
    Please submit pictures of your ships service inlet and a pic of the dockside outlet.
  4. Kevin Ledet

Kevin Ledet New Member

Thanks, Sorry "shore" too much in a hurry..
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

If your blowing fuses the load you have applied to the circuit is too much ( greater ) than the rating of the fuse.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Think I've got the picture. Guessing this is an older boat. Most of the 30 amp boats I run have a breaker inside the shore power inlet, and before the panel. It's a safety to keep a surge from making it to your panel. This is often prone to get spray and dampness. Put a meter on the pedestal to confirm you're only getting 30 amps, but I doubt that will be your problem as your main panel breakers handle the load. I think you may have a short or corrosion in the plug or that breaker box. Another problem could be with the fuses themselves. Electrical components aren't made as robust as they used to be. I'd be inclined to change that box out for a modern breaker.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

K1W1 & NYCAP
    You kids think a fuse is on the boat like an old GB or Hat?
    That styled?
    Those fuse holders are not to be trusted.

A 37' Jeff (IMO) is rite between 30A & 50A (120Vac) sized service. I'm still not sure what service his boat requires and what he is drawing from.
    The Jefferson's I'm familiar with are larger and have 240Vac/50A.
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Ralph, It might have escaped your attention, the main difference between a fuse and a circuit breaker is the breaker is re settable whereas the fuse is not without some remedial action in some and replacement in others.

As the OP mentioned he was blowing fuses and not circuit breakers I thought it prudent to continue to refer to the failing component using the same terminology.

Fuses are still widely used on brand new boats too.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Thank you for your enlightening remarks. I know what the heck a fuse is.
    Still don't see where I seemed confused.

What I am not sure of is where the fuses in the OP are. I asked you, if you thought they were on board and exposed like a Hat or GB.

I was also asking what size the service is.

I was not familiar that 30 (or 50) amp fuses were still used for new boats. Not one comes to mind. Any examples that would be notice around the states?
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

It wasn't 30 or 50 amp ones I was referring to particularly but the actual apparatus.
  11. bobhorn

bobhorn Member

Sometimes if the fuse holder has lost some of it's grip it will cause the ends of the fuse to overheat. I've had it happen on glass automotive type fuses where the ends got hot enough to melt the solder and the fuse element just came loose. It didn't blow, just lost contact inside the fuse.
  12. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I can only think of one word of advice and that is to get a qualified marine electrician. Blowing fuses. Fuse very hot. Fire. Loss of boat. Loss of life. Right now the fuse is protecting you. The problem may be very minor or more serious. However, the risk of not finding it or not properly fixing it is significant.
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Translation Buffer Error.
    Got to be the web language translator.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015