Click for Northern Lights Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for JetForums

Biodegradable lubricants

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Marmot, Oct 9, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Are there any readers who use any form of biodegradable lubricants - also called "green" or "environmentally acceptable lubricants" (EALs) on their boats?

This might include outboard motor lower end lube, thruster oil, hydraulic oils, compensating oil as used in some transducer housings, and oil filled stern tubes.

What is your opinion on the quality, cost, performance or even just comments on the regs that require it in some applications or if you see it as having any value to boaters or the environment?
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

We use some kind of environmentally acceptable hydraulic oil in the magical structure swim platform on the Lazzara 84 I run... Don't know if it s hype or if it s really better. It works.

We had a bad leak during the last trip (replacing locking Pistons now) and while it left a sheen it seem to disperse quickly

Personally I think it s one those feel good things compare to th amount of run off pollution from shore
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Vickers Hydrox is the only one I have got the yard to use on one newbuild, it might be a co incidence or it might not that this one seems to have had the least problems with shaft seals compared to those filled with turbine oil.
  4. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Thanks K1W1, Before you had them use Hydrox do you know if they were they going to use some other brand of green lube (blue in Germany I guess) or were they going to use a mineral base oil?

What prompted you to suggest they use a biodegradable oil?