Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Perko Click for Walker

Bertram Sportfish Yachts Coming Back???

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by Capt Ralph, Nov 3, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Liam

Liam Senior Member

Zuccon never did hulls for any boat, his job is exterior styling and interior layouts. Same for Bertram.
    What I know for sure is that the 57 was based on the 54 hull from Dave Napier but extended, and the 510 on the 50 hull.
    I also was told that some of the first new model Bertrams produced by Ferretti from 1999 to 2004 used Napier as outside consultant.
    It is possible the 630 was based on the 60, but if I remember well the Vee on the 630 closses at 15 degrees.

Some Bertram had newer hulls made from Ferretti Group Engineering who then consult a designer, which sometimes is mentioned and most other times not.
    I think all 450, 360, 540, 700, 800, come to mind.
    For example the Mochi line of Down East lobster cruisers has hull design by Brunello Acampora from Victory Design from Naples Italy and it is mentioned.
    Acampora is IMO to the level of Peters in hull design IMO, and I consider the two to be the best in the recent panorama of hull designers.
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Thank you for the clarification Liam! This is the hull design I was referring to...

Attached Files:

3. Liam

Liam Senior Member

Yes that was the new 540 launched in 2009.

That had a fresh hull design by Ferretti Engineering department, and I am sure some of the Bertram Managers of the time confirmed that in interviews about the model.
  4. Bill106

Bill106 Senior Member

It's all in the napkins we draw them out on!

You're going to have to come pick her up Capt J, I'm going to have to go to Africa to put the 41 back together after her freighter ride. The 37 is getting 550hp. QSB 6.7's and the 41 3-350hp. Verado's. Both hulls weigh under 6,000# right now (lot's of composites!) and will end up well under 20,000# wet weight, the size and power difference even out the speed numbers at 45 knots WOT. They were both laid up on the last hand cut jig I did prior to going CNC and lofted out from a plywood table of offsets.

The venerable 31's chine is kept very full forward Far, in some conditions it made for a wet ride but they're known as bulldozers around here and would plow through anything you could throw at them. Because the power available at the time, their engines were heavy for their hp. but the weight down low made them stable as could be, albeit with a little roll. This is the 37 upside down, the chine is similar to the 31 being so full forward.

Attached Files:

5. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

The 63 is a close relation to the 60, excepting the 7-foot long scallops/prop pockets, three degrees less deadrise (14.5 deg. vs. 17.5 deg.) and two inches more beam (at the shear? waterline differential? don't know).
    Earlier post this thread with FakeBook video--that was a 63, not a 60 ( My bad): "Shark Bait" 2005/2006 Hull No.2, for sale, BTW.
    Though given the travails of "Absolutely", well, best of luck.
  6. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

The 32/36 knots cruise/wot are typical factory test numbers for the 60. Looking at a few boats for sale, you can find a CAT powered 60 at Galati that has 29/33 knots cruise/wot, probably more realistic for a well equipped owners boat. Cruise numbers can vary all over, as some builders will go with a best number approach, others will use an engine manufacturers limit, but it really comes down to what's best for sales. There is nothing wrong with a Napier designed Bertram hull, but they are speed limited. You can run any Napier designed Bertram with 3 - 5 degrees trim for a soft ride, as long as the speed matches the sea conditions. Bertram had a great built-in customer base with the super successful 54, and had a production line capacity that a smaller/private builder like Davis could only dream about.

The Transom deadrise does not really tell the whole story, as it matters more on how the deadrise changes from a measured point, let's say amidships for starters. The 61' Davis was a Donald Blount design from the chines below and is known for being a great seakeeping boat. But as far as seakeeping goes, I am sure there are both camps that will stand by their brands. J&T had their own company 61 that was campaigned hard, and was a rocket ship on the northeast tournament circuit. It held up fairly well to the heavy throttle hands of an engine distributor, but Davis had issues keeping the quality of construction to the levels of performance these boats were capable of.

With a Seakeeper/ Gyro stabilizer, that beam seas roll on the Bertram's relatively narrow (16' - 11" beam, same as the 54') can be taken out of the equation and keep everyone smiling onboard. And in today's 60' SF market, if you can't hit a true 40 knot (46 mph) top speed, you are not a player, and that bar is rising, maybe 42 knots (48 mph) is an even better benchmark
  7. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Good points, and on the money.
  8. 84far

84far Senior Member

Hi Bill,

You're right there, and one thing I love with the Bertram is the weight factor as well that backs it up... though coming home on half tanks makes it interesting... as the fuel tank is located aft, I believe a few early Bertram in the range did the same. This is one of the reasons why I'm surprised Bertram's going back to the old - hopefully with improvements.
    I wouldn't mind getting on one of your builds one day to compare... that entry looks a lot sharper/cleaner ;). Cheers

Far
  9. maldwin

maldwin Senior Member

The new Boat just hit the water at Lyman Morse today. She looks a little larger than the original, and will make her debut at the Newport show. There may not be much time for sleeping in Thomaston for the next couple of weeks, but she will be ready.
    Best,
    Maldwin
  10. 84far

84far Senior Member

Any pics Maldwin...? Cheers

Far
  11. maldwin

maldwin Senior Member

Unfortunately embargoed until Newport debut
  12. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Just got around to reading thru this subject thread. I too was a fan of the Bertram 31 design. I even made that point by posting some photos of the 31 on this other subject thread .

But as had been said, why try to reinvent the wheel with this design for today's market?
    Why not pick something really affordable, and capable of performing most of the task of that older design??
    Weekender/Picnic PowerCat
  13. brian eiland

Lets see, this is his 34 footer with the rear saloon enclosed. I like the 32 with the open design
    layout, chris white34, ps.jpg 34 powercat profile, ps.jpg
    3.jpg
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  14. maldwin

maldwin Senior Member

I agree that margins are probably very tight in a 35 footer, but think of the publicity they are going to get. I would be very surprised if you don't see articles in every Yachting magazine, and even a cover or two! Next you build larger boats, and try to make money.
  15. brian eiland

Bigger, bigger, bigger?? The point being made in many of the postings in this discussion is that many of the bigger boats (>31-35) are not the boats needed right now. There is a glut of cheaper used ones out there.

What I have submitted is 32 & 34 design that fulfills that 'weekend desire' that many owners probably only have the spare time for. Or the retiree can afford, and probably only has the desire for. Its an efficient catamaran design that can be powered by outboards, or inboards. The catamarans have proven themselves to be quite seaworthy. It has a nice large aft deck like the Bertram had. It will likely handle sea as well as did the deep v Bertram, but with less rolling, and MUCH more efficiency.

Plus it has a nice queen size berth.

Perhaps the addition of a abbreviated flybridge could be done, but watch out for the extra windage. Its surprising how much windage there is with a 'tuna tower'.

...just a few of my brief thoughts
  16. brian eiland

Or how about this little larger 'weekender, picnic cat' I also included on that same subject thread

This one could be constructed of 'flat panel' pre-fab honeycomb panels, or even epoxy glassed wood. Again outboard or inboard engine power,...small flybridge. Hey, it might even be aux sail-assisted power !!...(I'll have more to say on this one)
  17. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

It's the 31-35' in the US, that has a dying market. Every center console is getting bigger. In the market today, a 31' Bertram may have a customer who simply wants the name. However, if it was another brand, there just wouldn't be a market. That's on the small side of Center Consoles and definitely below the market for SF.

Bertram is trying to recreate something that died. It's size was good for it's time. It's boat had fans. But that time is gone. Now, do I believe they'll sell some, absolutely. But I think it's much like Donzi selling their Classic's. It's a boat for another time. That's just my observation.
  18. brian eiland

This is a couple of quotes I was basing my observation on. The cat I suggested could full-fill that entry level boat market.
  19. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

+1
  20. maldwin

maldwin Senior Member

Perhaps the Italian owner thinks there is a European market for these boats.