Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums Click for Abeking Click for Mulder

Bertram Closing Merritt Island Facility?

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by Trinimax, Sep 15, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Jorge Lang

Jorge Lang Senior Member

What if they just resurrected the 31' again? Same classic hull, new everything else. Get back to what made you the best out there, or is it too late?
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

We will see...their actions so far sure don't show a commitment to Cabo. When you stop production and you take the boat planned for FLIBS and convert it from a Cabo to a Hatteras and basically you have no Cabo line left. It's great that they are working on the Hatteras line as it had really been reduced. The 70 MY is interesting but what they really need in the MY line is something larger than the 100.

Back to Cabo though, it will be interesting to see how they plan on positioning a relaunch. Putting the 44/45 in the Hatteras line sure doesn't leave it much of a place.
  3. NEO56

NEO56 Member

LOL...yeah...that's going happen.:D
  4. olderboater

The days of a 31' SF are long over. You're not going to build a company based on that size range. That's just for offshore center console type companies now. The smallest in that market was really the Cabo 36 and, of course, it's on hiatus now. Bertram hasn't been that 31' company in so long, most people wouldn't even recognize it now. The regular production of 31's ended in 1983 with 23 Silver Anniversary models in 1986. A lot of us were kids then.

Yes, there are some who like retro versions but they are generally going to go the find an old one and rebuild it route.
  5. Hatattack

Hatattack New Member

We should rename you grumpyboater
  6. NEO56

NEO56 Member

The only person I know building SF's in that range is Larry Bonadeo (sp?)at Bonadeo boat works in Stuart. He builds a very beautiful boat...haven't ridden in one yet. But they seem to be doing well building the "Viking" of center consoles.
  7. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I'm beginning to see why the word Attack is in your screen name. Older Boater has a far more knowledge of the marine market than most of us who are involved in the industry. Stick around and you might learn something. Or not.
  8. RER

RER Senior Member

I think a case could be made that that's pretty much what they've done with Cabo.
  9. Liam

Liam Senior Member

IMO the only thing that Bertram needs is passion to deliver the best. If you start to think in getting your return, go to Wall Street and stay there.
    Only with this mentality Bertram can become what it was. I am sure Ferretti invested millions in Bertram only to back-fire on them. What Bertram needs and any boat builder who wants quality needs (sportfisherman are not forgiving in this area) is passion for delivering a better boat to the other.
    If you do not care for the boats you build and fix, the name can as well stay in the history books.

I think the 60 by Ulberg was a step in the right direction. May be it would have been better if they went a fully semi-custom or custom route something similar to a Garlington or Magnum. These only build a boat or two a year to high standards.

May be quality people are hired but I am sure if you give people a quality job you might get the Q back.
    What Viking for example does better then everyone is that it treats its workers like family.
    Most other builders treat them just like the boats they sell as numbers in a balance sheet.
  10. olderboater

Another article confirming the uncertainty within Ferretti...

From Tradeonlytoday

Industry observers have noted for some time that the Bertram plant appears inactive.

Phone calls to Alton Herndon, Bertram’s president; Brett Keating, its marketing director; and James Henderson, Ferretti Group America’s president and CEO, and an email to Jessica Cortada, the group media contact, went unanswered.

A receptionist at Ferretti Group America’s Miami office, asked about Bertram’s status for this story, referred a reporter to Federico Fernando, the Bertram owners’ contact for warranty and after-sales. He said Bertram has not been building boats at Merritt Island for several months, although production could start again at some point.

“There are a lot of changes going on in the group,” Fernando said. He said that at present “the idea is to restart” Bertram, but it’s uncertain where or when.

He said Bertram will not be represented at the Oct. 30-Nov. 3 Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show

And the other interesting aspect of that article is that an Oklahoma company is looking at the facility to build 60-90' Ocean Alexander's now that they have their deal with Marine Max. Apparently their sales of 90' have been very good. I don't see the OA and MarineMax arrangement as good for Hatteras Yachts at all. I thought MarineMax was a mistake for them and still believe that.
  11. AffrayedKnot

AffrayedKnot Senior Member

With due respect to Mr. Fernando, and his ambivalence to Bertram’s restart.

The Brevard County Board of County Commissioners on September 16th 2014;
    Voted without discussion to pass:
    *1. Resolution, Re: Ad Valorem Tax Exemption – Project Transom
    *2. Resolution, Re: Qualified Targeted Industry Tax Refund – Project Transom

If we recall, Project Transom is the code name for the officially anonymous boat builder with investment and plans in place to take-over the former Bertram Merritt Island Facility. With this last detail settled, a new tenant acquires Bertram’s last factory.

I hope this does not mean that this will be Bertram’s final factory.

Bertram’s remaining presence is that within Ferretti’s USA Yacht Brokerage; Allied Marine.

Does anyone know; where are the molds ??
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

One of the last hull mold is in Italy.
  13. olderboater

Do you think just one is in Italy?
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I know of one. I questioned it several months ago in an old thread.
    I would welcome any new info to me / us on any others..

I know and agree what some have posted here about old designs and the need to envision, build and deliver new & fresh designs.
    I still miss my old AMX, Mercury Comet and Delmont 88. It's hard to think the pedigree of our ole Bert has died off. We still do love the old designs and ride.
    Yes, it would be specialty and not common production (old Bertrams), But the romance of somebody picking up the old molds and building a few at a time. I still think there could be a market, of course, high priced but so was Delorean (S S car).

If only somebody could build me another Delmont convertible.
    ,rc
  15. olderboater

But the Delorean only lost money, lot's of it.
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The car was good. The owner and mgt snorted the rest.
  17. ArcanisX

ArcanisX Senior Member

Sorry, but that's not the whole of it. Some businesses are just more problematic then the others. Thing is, fixed costs and RnD costs are very comparable whether you are building sporadic "rare and luxe" or in serial volumes. But in the former case it's much easier to go bust on just a couple bad months.
    Besides, as someone wrote above in this very thread, the market for semi-custom, purpose-built expensive SF boats is already saturated.

I think people hoping for Bertram revival should hope for a proper scale production. Because once that's set up with an acceptable quality at competitive price, that actually works well on average. Now the investment and effort for the said set-up in another matter...
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

You and others are correct. starting (re-starting) a company to make a profit in this economy with product lines already out there Is hard work (near insane) with a long & expensive road ahead.

I was just wishing (with tear eyes) out loud.
    rc
  19. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

I hear you on the AMX thing: AMC AMX and AMX/3: American Motors sports cars (and AMC Javelin)

The new generation of Bertram failed to make the emotional connection to its' customer base that the Bertram we all new and grew up with. I can still remember and picture all those adds, "boondocks tough", etc. :)
  20. olderboater

Now, if someone revives Bertram it will be in large boats and nothing like the legacy boats you and others speak of.

If it was me, however, I would recognize the ability to reconnect with the heritage. So, while the primary line would be larger, 50' and up. I would come down to 45' or so and I'd do one more thing, not for profits but for marketing. I would revive a couple of the old models like the 31. If it was Ferretti, they would need to look no further than one of their other brands, Riva, to see how to link to a past. The Aquariva has the Aquarama and other older Riva's as background. A modern version of a very old boat. With Bertram, the 31 would be very expensive, expect to sell very very few and price it high. But have it for show. Have it to connect to the distant past.

A revival would take three things: Passion, Money, and Marketing (also dependent on Money but must reflect the passion). Today what value the brand has is very mixed. It doesn't stand clearly for any one thing. But if you don't relate to the history, then there isn't even a reason to use the name.