Click for Furuno Click for Perko Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for Westport

Bertram 54 Generator Fuel Clog

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by CaptOz, May 29, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CaptOz

CaptOz Member

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to see if anyone has modified the front Tanks on the '54, 1980's vintage. These front tank do not have fuel pick up, instead the fuel comes out of the drain and into a pipe divider where the lowest pipe goes to the Genny feed.

Eventually, the algae works its way down and clogs up the genny line since it smaller and has a lot less suction than the mains.

I call it the worm problem. To fix this I have to open up the fuel line to this pipe fitting and then use a good size tie wrap until the worm passes. Then Im good to go.

The problem only happens when Im at 1/4 tank or less. I use BioBor every time I fill the front tanks.

Has anyone had this issue or Modified the Genny line Feed?

Thanks in Advance!
  2. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

have you ever tried to clean the tank?
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Stop adding the additive. The dead bio's and there crap settles and clogs the line.
    Draw that tank empty, clean it or have it cleaned and keep fresh fuel in it.
  4. CaptOz

CaptOz Member

No I have never Cleaned it. Hmm.. Maybe its time?

Any trick on draining it and then cleaning it after its drained?
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Use it up. Do not xfer to another tank. More fuel, more time to polish the fuel. The tank polishing guys need lots of access. Our Bert's Glass tanks has good access but a lot of internal baffles. Polishing guys need about 6 inches of fuel also.

We just had our aft tank cleaned. $450 with about 450 gallons in it.
  6. CaptOz

CaptOz Member

No actually my front tanks are twin 300 gallons tanks that don't have fuel pickup, instead the have fuel drain.. Will post a picture in a few..
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Use up all of the fuel. If you drain the tank completely, then let it sit for a week, the algae should all die. I'm not sure if you'd need to polish anything after this, just add fresh fuel and a different additive. I've had huge problems with Bio-Bor many years ago and it would kill the algae and it would all create big clumps and problems like you're describing.

Once you have algae it's hard to get rid of. It doesn't go away on it's own either. I ran a 61' Viking SC from Ft. Laud to Wisconsin. We ran through 14 tanks of fuel on that boat (everyday we were down to around 30% capacity +/-), I was afraid to add an additive because we were travelling. We had to change fuel filters every single day, until about the 10th tank, then every other day. The algae never went away it just got less and less............if the boat sat once it got up there it would grow back. He added the Diesel Kleen clear tank diesel and the bio-kill one together and it knocked it all out and 2 years later tells me he has no algae.
  8. CaptOz

CaptOz Member

Ok.. will drain and wait..

After that, how to I get the residue out? Do I pour diesel and flush it?

I uploaded a picture that shows a valve connection. The fat pipe connects the two forward tanks together. Then the next connection goes to the port main and the bottom feeds the Genny. This valve is at the bottom of the tank. The front tanks when 1/2 full or more will prime all the filters because of gravity of course.

I never have my main's clog, only the Genny because its the low guy. Not sure if Bertram did this on purpose or not.

I was thinking of putting another fitting with a valve so that when I do get a clog, I open it, get the "Worm" out and go on my merry way.

Attached Files:

9. jhall767

jhall767 Senior Member

Why not re-plumb that and put a trap at the bottom? It looks like some of the particles would drop to the bottom when your mains are running and plug up that hard 90 degree fitting. The generator fitting is basically a trap for the mains. At a minimum you could change to a full flow elbow. Long term I'd probably add a tap for a small pump/fuel filter to the bottom of that stack and polish the fuel myself. That and a little mechanical timer. That would keep the generator line from getting clogged.
  10. CaptOz

CaptOz Member

Sorry about the picture it needs to rotate cw 90 degrees.

Full Flow Elbow would leave the Genny Line out no?

I was thinking more of the latter part of your statement. Nice idea to add the tap for a fuel polishing pump with filter.

How about replace the Genny 90 with a T and adding one more level of Trap. Then tap the trap with a fuel polishing pump and filter.

The moment that Genny starts hicup'n, turn on the Fuel polish pump and suck out the worm!
  11. jhall767

jhall767 Senior Member

I assumed the image needed to be rotated. A full flow elbow would just replace the 90 degree fitting that is there. And it would probably keep the "worm" from forming by allowing whatever did collect there to be pulled through the filter on the generator. The "worm" is probably also dirt that collects there as the fuel sloshes from tank to tank through the crossover pipe.

Best solution would be the pump and filter though. If possible set it up to return to the same tank(s) OR transfer to another tank. That would allow you to empty those forward tanks completely and remove any floating debris.
  12. CaptOz

CaptOz Member

Roger... Will pump all the fuel out of each tank separately, filter it and dump in the back tank. Then will rinse out with 15 gallons of diesel into a Jerry Jug a couple of time through a filter. Then install the full flow elbow and top off tanks. I hope that does it.

Thanks again for everyone's input.
  13. CaptOz

CaptOz Member

Well after 1 week of 25-30 knots winds I decided not to go to the Bahamas and do my oil and filter changes and also the cleaning of the front two tanks.

Look at the picture of the weather it was tough decision.

I pumped all the fuel to the back tank using a commercial fuel polishing system that a friend of mine lent me. Check filter for water and there was none. There was some debri.. black like gunk, but it was kind of hard and brittle as well.

Then I removed plumbing from each tank. The Port had a lot more of the black gunk stuff than the starboard. I removed as much fuel as I could but there is still like a gallon or so left. Im think of using my shop vac with a special pick up tube, with a 90 degree or 45 degree pick. Im thinking this is where the bulk of gunk lies. Looking into that hole, I can see the black stuff.

Hopefully, will get it all out this week. Any thoughts on how to get it all out, pls chime in.

Also, I was told to use Rector Seal #4 on the pipe threads of the fuel line. Does that seem right?

Here are some pics...

Attached Files:

14. CaptOz

CaptOz Member

Some more pics

Attached Files:

15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I can tell you all about replacing 35 year old fuel lines. Work, money & sweat. I'm at a loss for words when it comes to alloy, bottom fed fuel tanks. Our ole Bert uses (perfect) glass tanks fed & returned from the top.
    I can also tell you about water problems in our aft tank. NO MATTER what anybody says, No amount of blown Sunshine or additives will make tank snot go away. I have always been able to filter away most junk, My last scenario got worse as I added treatment.
    I lost track of what I preached (but I'm back), Filter what you can, Snake oil will not help. When your loosing the battle, save your money and get the fuel & tank cleaned the old fashion way.
    ,rc