Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander

Bertram 42 MY Tanks/Berths Conversion?

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by captgene, Feb 17, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. captgene

captgene New Member

Palm Harbor Fl, Plantaion Key, Florida Keys
    I am looking to purchase a 42' Bertram Motor Yacht and would like to see if I can convert the master stateroom from the two single berths to a queen berth arrangement somehow. Can anyone tell me what is under the berths? My assumption is like the Hatteras 43 motor yachts of the same design there are water tanks under both berths. Also, does anyone know if Bertram made a 42 MY with a centerline queen? I have never come across one so far but that doesn't mean they didn't make one. I welcome any info or advise on this topic from the yachting brethren.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

3. franzmerenda

franzmerenda Senior Member

For once you have the chance to split from Admiral :rolleyes::D
  4. ddw1668

ddw1668 Senior Member

You must be a newlywed..............leave it the way it is..........you can thank me later!:D
  5. captgene

captgene New Member

So does anybody know where I can find any Documentation maybe online? I may be able to answer my question about what's located under those two berths in the master...tanks or storage? I had a 46' Bertram SF and Bertram had several manuals with wiring and plumbing schematics that were very helpful. If I had a 42 close to me I would just go look at it, but nothing in my area available right now.
  6. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Do you want one queen or two queens in the aft cabin?

Note: Links contain pics to better understand arrangement.

- 42' Bertram Flybridge Motoryacht in United States jetzt kaufen oder Händler kontaktieren :: Boatshop24

Denison Yacht Sales - Yacht Brokers in Florida and California | Denison Yacht Sales

or

Denison Yacht Sales - Yacht Brokers in Florida and California | Denison Yacht Sales

Enjoy a browse from the source:

7. captgene

captgene New Member

Thanks for the Denison Yacht Sales link...I overlooked this site but have seen most of the boats on there. I like the "sleeps four in two queen size beds", now that's funny stuff. Don't think I want my company sleeping in the same cabin. I haven't been on a 42' Bertram MY in about 25 years, but i'm pretty sure these are not real full queen size bed or beds, they were more like slightly over sized twins. The Hatteras 43 DC (very similar to the 42 Bertram MY) after 1979 went to the certerline queen in the master as did most other builders too. I like the Bertram because of the galley up and several other reasons so that's why I would like to see if a conversion is possible in the master. I've seen attempts to do some semi berth conversions like "Sea B" on the Denison site. Looks like I'm going to have to get back on one to answer my questions.
  8. captgene

captgene New Member

Ok, so after a little more research I found out that Bertram did make a queen berth layout in their 1986/87 models. I have never seen this year/model for sale and don't know how many Bertram may have made, but they are out there somewhere. I have also come to the conclusion that after looking at the many queen conversion attempts, there must be something against the centerline transom and both port/stbd side of the chines aft because there is always a cabinet or box of some sort left in place to cover something? Maybe the dead rise of the hull aft at the chines? Exhaust pipes? Rudder collars? Still a mystery. Still waiting on my Bertram Brethren to come through with some answers.....
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Is it possible to make one berth a queen and leave the other twin? I'm not familiar with this model, but chances are the berths are covering the exhaust that is running to the transom and possibly the running gear. Pull the mattresses and look underneath. Or the drawers that may be in the base to the bed. On a 42' boat, you are kind of limited when it comes to layout and space on the interior. I know on many Hatteras, they would put the vanity/drawers against the sides and the exhaust would run underneath the bottom of them.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I agree with Capt. J, explore. There should be no inaccessible voids. So lift the mattresses and pull out the drawers. In the Hat I run we have a water tank behind the master and another below. The steering ram, rudder posts, etc. are also there. It can all be built around. One of the biggest obstacles you might run into is if there's an a/c unit under there. That could need to be moved, along with vents and hoses. Just maker sure to tell your carpenter that access can't be blocked.
  11. captgene

captgene New Member

Well after a weekend down in south Florida we were able to take a look at a couple of 42's and answer my questions on what lies beneath those twin berths. Mufflers ! Mostly all mufflers and some auto pilot gear on this one boat. Second boat with a queen berth conversion was able to cut back the port berth to cover the exhaust system and some other minor gear. The built in dresser that sits mid stern on all models covers the rudder collars and some other auto pilot equipment. So after a little further research and some onboard scouting I concluded that the conversion is not as hard as I expected and can be done pending the right boat is found. After boarding both boats I think my biggest obstacle is finding an older boat that has been cared for properly. Sad to say that one of the Bertram's we looked at will never be a Bertram again. Thanks guys for input on this thread.