Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Cross Click for Burger Click for Delta

Battery Parallel Switch

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by jlresq, Mar 2, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. jlresq

jlresq New Member

Is it possible there is no way to parallel the batteries on my 56 if one bank goes dead. I would be surprised if Ocean did not think of that as an emergency or safety issue. Boat is a 2001 56 SS.
  2. Prospective

Prospective Senior Member

Ocean did some wonky stuff with the primary dc electrical. I totally rewired the battery compartment on my Yr 2000 43' and installed a parallel switch in the process. Prior to that the boat had no battery switch disconnects and had all DC wiring going to buss bars mounted directly on the battery terminals. There is a thread regarding 43' Oceans on this forum and you can see pics of what I did.

With respect to your question, on my boat there was a solenoid in the battery compartment clearly designed to combine the house and start banks but I could never find any reference as to how to actuate it. The one occasion when I killed my start bank and had to parallel them, I had to manually combine the hots at the solenoid. I "believe" the solenoid was tied into the starter circuit somehow but could never actually figure out how to operate it. And the battery mess was so bad I ripped it all out and started from scratch.
  3. jlresq

jlresq New Member

Thanks. Hopefully someone knows what was done on my model. Much appreciated.
  4. praetorian47

praetorian47 Senior Member

Another Ocean owner explained how this worked last summer. To parallel the batteries, you need to hit the start button on both engines at the same time. That's what opens the combiner switch. I never found it in the owners manual, but I did verify that it works.
  5. jlresq

jlresq New Member

Did the good engine have to be off for this to work. Not sure why it would not grind the starter on an engine already running?
  6. praetorian47

My boat has wiring that disconnects the starter if the engine is running (I think it's measuring fuel pressure?)
  7. jlresq

jlresq New Member

I sure wish there were someone who had the authoritative answer on this. Maybe another 56 owner might chime in or at least someone with Cats.
  8. praetorian47

Mine is a 55 with DD's, so I can't help you there. Sorry.
  9. jlresq

jlresq New Member

Thanks for the help so far.
  10. praetorian47

I tested my combiner by starting one engine and having a meter on the other engine's side of the combiner and could see power. I'm not sure how your system is setup, but mine is overly complex. My batteries are 12v and only bridge to make 24 when the start button is pressed. Really more complicated than it needs to be, but too much trouble to change now.

I've only had the boat for a year, and it's taken me most of the last season to really understand it.
  11. jlresq

jlresq New Member

I certainly understand. I am still learning and have been playing with it all winter, albeit while decommissioned for the winter.
  12. praetorian47

I've had an intermittent start issue on the port engine. too intermittent to really troubleshoot and figure out what the bad part is, but I think it's the 12-24 combiner. My mechanic buddy finally saw it at the end of the season, and just pushed the start button a dozen times and it started. Not a true solution, but I'm looking for a spare one of these over the winter.

The other issue I discovered, the "other" battery that makes the 24v doesn't get charged by the battery charger. I had issues starting on launch last year as one of those batteries was low and we couldn't just run the generator to charge and jumper cables were useless. I ended up using a battery booster on the low battery and then started. It took us almost an hour to figure it out. I want to avoid that this year somehow.
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Connected correctly, the top battery you mention (makes the 24V) is tied in parallel with the first bottom 12V battery and gets it charge at 12v.
    When the engine starter is engaged, the 12/24 relay re-configures the batteries to a serial config to make a momentary 24Vdc.
    It that top battery is not getting charged, the relay may not be configured correctly or the battery is bad.

Remember to replace both at the same time, same mfg, same spec & same age. They charge in parallel and need equal charging.
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The correct 12/24V gizmo should look like this;
    index.jpg .

I have discovered dual solenoids tied in a birds nest trying to do the same thing.
    That may be why your top battery is not charging also.
  15. praetorian47

I do have a device that looks like that, but I think that's the part causing my intermittent starting issue. I'd like to replace it but can't find a part number. Any advice on the actual part? I'll buy a couple to replace the ones I have and have a spare.
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

17. jlresq

jlresq New Member

Found a device near the batteries that is tied into each starter so that the batteries parallel whenever either starter is engaged. Looks OEM so problem solved.