Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service

Bahamas Invasion

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Norseman, Aug 1, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

We are headed over to Bimini Wednesday for quality snorkeling, rum and lobster.
    Heard there is a 100 boat flotilla coming in from Marine Max.
    Should be pretty crowded in Alicetown, hope I will get there and out before the madness starts.

Anybody else from Yachtforums headed that way?
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Not if there is SeaRay/MarineMax gathering.

Get in/out quick with customs before that flotilla arrives. I remember a reef line just south of HoneyMoon harbor.
    Wonderful trenches and some reef pinnacles were great for snorkel and shallow tank diving.

The Cement Wreck will probably be full of rednecks quickly AND grounded SeaRays to the south of the approach.
    Continue south and round the south end Gun Kay, come back north inside 1/4 mile for a deep, bug free (maybe breezy) anchorage.
  3. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yup, good idea.
    i should be done with paperwork and check in the day before the masses arrive.
    I have been to that anchorage you mentioned years ago, don't remember details, did you see any lobsters around there?
    Winds 5-10, risk of bugs, may have to anchor out on the flats..
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Their Lobster Bash at Resort World is Aug 4-7.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

It's been 20+ years for me.
    There was everything then.
    Around the south end of Gun is a route my friends take heading east and anchor in my old spot. They sadly report, no bugs or conch.
  6. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Aha, yeah I heard they are headed to RW, my buddy boat could not get a slip there, fully booked, Big Game still had slips available.

I know some rocks here and there that used to have bugs, will have to snorkel around a bit and look.
    Last time in The Bahamas, 2-3 months ago, a local fisherman came up to us with
    Fresh lobster while we were anchored, 6 tails for $20. Yum.
    Not sure if those guys have special permits to harvest lobster year around or if they just ignore the off-season. Either way, we are everything within hours, it could be expensive if caught with fresh lobster on the boat and no receipt..
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Sheesh, Don't tell anybody.
  8. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yeah, will keep it quiet, but probably not a nuclear secret: Everybdoy and his grandmother knows what goes on :cool:
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Tell grandma to button her lip.
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Off season the fishermen usually have frozen tail

Bimini is not what it used to be. Resort world Bimini bay pretty much destroyed the northern half of the island. Most of the beach is gone

Best bet is to clear at cat cay then anchor on the east side of Gun. Plenty deep close to shore. You can also anchor in Honeymoon, the small bay at the north end of gun but it gets really crowded in summer Honeymoon harbor isn't what it used to be as a storm washed out most of th each years ago

One very nice spot, in settled weather, is Bimini NE beach, going around north rock. few boats go there, really nice
  11. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Sometimes I clear at North Cat Cay but in this case will probably do Bimini.
    Got a long tradition there, this will be my 29 th Trip to the Bahamas, mostly on the sailboat which I sold 3 years ago, second trip on the Glacier Bay.

Roger on the resort, seem crazy to screw up a charming little island with bling, but each to his own.

Been staying away from Honeymoon the last 10 years, bad holding there, then half the beach got washed away as you mentioned so much of the protection is gone.

Looks to be light winds the next few days, no-seeums and mosquitos will be a concern, got but screens on all hatches and bug spray loaded already.

Bimini a few months ago: View attachment 75603

Cat Cay: image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Attached Files:

12. thatcher

thatcher Member

"summer crab" is what crawfish are known as off season.
  13. Nep6012

Nep6012 New Member

I'm at Big Game Club right now and it's relatively empty here - maybe 10-12 boats. The wind has been blowing hard for two days, particular at night.
  14. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Sounds good. It should ease up tomorrow, NOAA says 5-10 before noon and less after noon.
    Other forecasters have it at 13 in the morning with slightly higher gusts.
    Seas around 2, or 2-3, we shall see.
    We will probably dock at Weeches to check in with customs and spend the night, then have lunch or early dinner at Big Game.
    Most of the day should be spent at the beach across the hill from Weeches, drinking beer and jumping in the surf, just like God intended I should spend my life:)
  15. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Are you there tomorrow afternoon?
    We could do a cocktail, Carl is paying, this is a Full Service Site :D
  16. Nep6012

Nep6012 New Member

Thanks for the offer but we're heading back to FL in the morning. Have a great trip.
  17. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

I was going to cross this morning as well but the forecast has changed again.
    The radar shows mucho moisture over the Southern parts of the Florida straits. Winds and waves are also up a bit from the forecast 24 hrs ago.
    It should all ease by this afternoon and we may try it then.