Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Walker Click for Burger

Bahamas cellular hotspot

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by Danvilletim, May 23, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

spending 4 weeks in abacus to Exumas and need a hotspot to plugin the boats wifi system. Any suggestions of what and where to get? I'd prefer a solution to buy ahead of time.

Thanks!
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I recently installed a cradlepoint Ibr 1150 on the 84 Lazzara I run. It's not cheap (about $900 from 3gstore com but it is a very solid reliable unit. So far I have only used it with an ATT sim and it works perfectly hooked up to our main router. It is supposed to be compatible with BTC sims. I ll know for sure Friday as we're heading back to the exumas...

You still need an unlocked phone to activate data service

Btw BTC has a new unlimited plan for $40/50 a month...
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
  3. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

Active Captain had a couple of newsletters about using T-Mobile in the Bahamas. Free data and text roaming just about anywhere, and phones are used as hotspots.
  4. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

You can get a Project Fi device to use. You pay for the data you use and the data costs the same regardless of what country you are in.
  5. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

For solid performance get the BTC sim chip. Install it in a Pepwave Max HD 2. With the HD 2 you can install two sims at the same time and choose which you want to use. They also make a single sim unit.
    As mentioned earlier, you will need an unlocked phone to activate and manage the sim. This unit will connect to your onboard WIFI system and does work in the Bahamas, I am using it right now.
  6. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

We have been using a simple puck style att mifi hotspot in San Diego and it works much better than marina wifi.

We already have a netgear eorellana network on board with some device that connects to wifi sources.

Will a puck do me just as good? I found unlimited SIM card w BTC for $59. Just need to make sure I buy the compatible unlocked device.
  7. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

As long as the MIFI is unlocked, you should be able to use it. You will need to know how to get into the settings to put in the BTC settings.
    If you get the cards from Mrsimcard it will come with directions on what you need to do.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Mrsimcard is a good source. They also sell unlocked phones. Or you can go to a BTC office in the Bahamas and get them there. That way you get to realize that your local drivers license office is actually pretty efficient :)

When setting up a data device to work with a BTC sim (whether an iPad or a cell modem) you have to go into the settings and set APN to internet.btcbahamas.com