Click for Walker Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for MotorCheck

Bad start of the new year: The fire at Marmaris

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Natuzzi, Jan 4, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Natuzzi

Natuzzi Member

Reportedly the fire broke out in the marina at city of Marmaris, and took out MY "Barbie" and MY "The One". Footage does not look good, lets hope the crew is OK

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2016
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Very sad news, The One was built as Carinthia VI and was considered as the most beautiful superyacht in the world. Designed by Jon Bannenberg and built by Lurssen as a replacement to the sistership which sank in Greece when just a few months old...

the_one.jpg
  3. Mooring Wood

Mooring Wood New Member

What a shame.
  4. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

That is a pity, it was gorgeously sleek, in that it wasn't a wedding cake.

Any news about why the second yacht didn't get taken out to safer waters and remained there to catch fire?
  5. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

I wonder if this will be considered a total loss.
  6. DBowman78

DBowman78 Senior Member

Doesn't look good between the fire damage and all the water pumped into both yachts. The One's superstructure appears to have been largely destroyed. Anyone know if she was under some kind of refit given the hull color change? I could be mistaken since it's not a close up view, but she also appears to have her old name, Carinthia VI, on her stern in some of the video footage.
  7. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Good eye! The hull does seem to be sanded in preparation for top coating. You can see masking on the aft fashion boards and certainly make out the shadow of Carinthia VI on the lower port section of the transom. Amazing that it had time enough for the aluminum superstructure to combust and be consumed. I wonder if the paint locker or some other chemical storage was up on the bridge deck and acted as an accelerant. Ill have to look up at what temperature aluminum burns as that seems to be the case.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  8. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

I think the first news story I saw said that the one's new name was Carinthia VI, so maybe they were transitioning back, or maybe all the fairing compound began to crumble and the old scars started to show up again.
  9. captholli

captholli Senior Member

I would venture a guess and say that Heidi Horton has retained the rights to the name "Carinthia " since she's now on # VII
  10. g collis

g collis Member

Wedding Cake is an excellent way to describe these floating Clorox bottles being built today. This vessel had lines, beauty and grace. And was very distinct. Todays creations, in large, seem to appeal to those with little appreciation for traditional vessel design. I know, I'm just getting old. But I'd take a traditional Burger and have her overhauled any day vs the new generation of yachts. I like DD 12v71's as well. Ha