Click for Walker Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for Cross

Bachelor Party Yacht

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by SeekingGamma, Jun 28, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. SeekingGamma

SeekingGamma New Member

Hi everyone

So my buddy's bachelor party is coming up in late October, and as the best man I have the pleasure of planning this shindig. I think it would be pretty cool to charter a yacht on Florida's Atlantic coast for a long weekend of cruising, partying, fishing etc. I've found a few yachts that are within budget and available for the tgt weekend, but knowing next to nothing about anything nautical, Ive got some concerns and reservations. Id also like to run the plan by a forum of knowledgable people that can point out potential problems/unaccounted for expenses/other pieces of nautical common sense that I may be missing:

At the moment I'm looking at a 70ft Johnson motor yacht named Charmer:

1. I want to board in Ft. Lauderdale and head south to Miami for the night (Miamarina). Then from Miami to the Bahamas the following day (Freeport Marina), and Bahamas to West Palm Beach (Palm Beach Marina) on day three, then back to Ft. Lauderdale. We will be staying overnight at each of the three marinas (not Ft. Laud) - I estimate dock fees of $750-800 for all three combined. Does this sound right? Any advice here would be great. As far as I can tell dock fees typically include utilities, right?

2. The boat will be fully loaded, probably 10 guys. So 4 of us will need to get creative on sleeping accommodations - think there's room for a blow up mattress or two? Will 10 people fit comfortably on a yacht this size sans sleeping accommodations?

3. At a cruise speed of ~20kts, I am estimating an avg burn rate of 150 gal/hr - is this anywhere near correct? At $2.50/gal for diesel, I am assuming the entire trip will cost ~$4k in gas - Is this realistic? Overly conservative? Too generous?

4. How do captains and crew typically handle bachelor parties? Where will they sleep? Is 10% gratuity based on all expenses (charter fee, gas, marina fees, etc)?

5. Tell me why this is a bad idea - other than the obvious reasons all bachelor parties are bad ideas

6. Any other pointers/tips/advice/suggestions much appreciated

Thanks a lot everyone!
  2. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Not a yacht savant, but overall it sounds like a reasonable plan. I mean, what could possibly go wrong? Eh, where do the strippers come in?
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

The boat is too small for what you plan. Not enough space for 10 guests and a crew. Now, obviously where you're going there are hotels so some could sleep in them. The boat has space for 6 guests and 2 crew.

Your trip and time is going to feel rushed when you consider clearing customs in both the Bahamas and on the return to the US.

What do you intend to do? Go to land and party and then just return to the boat to sleep? I ask because Marinas are not places to party late late and into morning.

I think your fuel cost estimate is probably high although I don't know the vintage of the engines. Your dockage however is low, so the two should be ok together.

The biggest issue is size of boat vs. number of people and plans. I think, if the charterer went along with that, they might also want to add another crew member.

The captain and crew is basically going to be handling the boat. It's not five star luxury. I assume you will eat meals in restaurants.
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

One of our mods soft-deleted this thread, citing it was fishy. Something seems amiss here, but I know YF member Pascal ran a 70' Johnson and Charmer's cruising grounds would be his regular waypoints. Just in case there's a correlation, I've re-instated the thread.
  5. RB480

RB480 Senior Member

The captain who runs Charmer is on this forum, as eluded to earlier in this thread.
  6. SeekingGamma

SeekingGamma New Member

Thanks for the input guys.

Charmer is an example of what our budget will get us. One of a few boats I am looking at and running numbers on.

I know it sleeps 6 - we'd have to figure out how to make it work. Blow up mattress or two maybe. (only sort of kidding)
    What typically constitutes the crew quarters?

Great point. How long should we expect this process to take?

Yes - Fish, snorkel, visit beaches, jet ski etc during the day, arrive at port in the evening - depart for dinner and local bars/clubs - come back to the boat early in the morning for a night cap and to sleep - don't know how owners/captains feel about this type of itinerary. Maybe not kosher. Would clear it prior to chartering the yacht to make sure we're all on the same page.

Thanks - not sure why it seems fishy. Does it come across as owners promoting the yacht?? Can you expand on the correlation point?
  7. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

You may find that the owner/broker or captain may not take 10 people on a yacht the is geared for 6.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

It is indeed the boat I run... Let me start by saying that this would not be a charter we d take because I prefer bachelorette parties. Just kidding...

Seriously, as olderboater suggested, you can not cram 10 overnight in a boat with three guests ststerooms... I mean you can but most charter boats won't. It s not just the actual sleeping space but the logistics like water twnk and water maker capacity, holding tank capacity while in marinas and near shore, etc... If you want to do this you will need to find a boat with 5 staterooms

Your proposed intinerary is also something we d never do. It's a common mistake for first time charter to try cramming way too much distance in a charter but the truth is that being under way for hours and hours is not that much fun as you can't do that much... No swimming, motion, difficult to serve and eat a decent meal, etc.... Best is to limit run time to a couple of hours a day and enjoy the destinations.

Trips to the Bahamas can be rough sometimes especially starting October when cold fronts start coming down, with northerly winds behind kicking the Gulf Stream. No guarantee of actually going there.

As to fuel costs, we burn about 85/90 GPH at 22kts which is typical of boats this size (cats 3412Es) so according to my on board guessimator fuel needed for the itinerary you have in mind woudl be somewhre around 1000 gals... Dockage costs varies but figure about $300/350 a night with power

Crew quarters on charter boats that size are well.... a room and bathroom. I doubt you ll find any boat where the crew will crash on a couch to add extra guests on board.

Gratuity is typically calculated on the base charter fee. I thInk you will find that most reputable brokers will suggest 15 to 20%, this is what we ve been averaging all these years.

As to the boat, as mentioned you need to find something with 4 or 5 staterooms. Some boats will be ok with one a two guests crashing on a couch if necessary. try looking up Tropical Escape yacht charters on google or Facebook. I know the owner/captain (Mike Liddle) he runs an older hatteras with either 4 or maybe 5 staterooms in so fl and the Bahamas. He may be able to accommodate your group.
  9. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

As to why one might have thought it looked fishy...I would guess because it's outside normal posts seen here and also the type post that might sound like someone pranking simply because it's too much. Correlation was that since it's the boat Pascal runs, he allowed Pascal to respond.

His response was what I would have expected. Just as a responsible captain, not something he would do. While boats can be lots of fun and great for bachelor parties even, they are not party buses. They have limits. If docked they can accommodate extra for a cocktail party but when on a trip, most are going to adhere to their size limitations for all the reasons he stated. More is too much like a frat party. A captain is responsible first for the safety of all, but also for the comfort and enjoyment.

I didn't answer the question about how much time customs would take, because it can vary so based on timing and circumstances. Could be 15 minutes, could be three hours. A lot of variables on a trip like this. How are sea conditions, what is the weather, how is the gulf stream?

You talked about Fish, snorkel, visit beaches, jet ski etc during the day, arrive at port in the evening - depart for dinner and local bars/clubs - come back to the boat early in the morning for a night cap and to sleep - don't know how owners/captains feel about this type of itinerary. With the travel you outlined there isn't enough day left for fish, snorkel, visit beaches, and jet ski. Considerations like clearing customs before you can be taken to snorkel or visit beaches. Also, the tender is normally matched up to the number of guests the boat takes and wouldn't accommodate all.

As to the routine of bars, clubs and returning in the middle of the night to the boat, the captain and crew also have responsibilities there and it prevents them from sleeping plus the condition when returning could bother others at the marina. Bachelor party groups often go too far. I'd personally be very reluctant and want more crew than a boat this size, more in line with the number of people.

By the time you put all this into the short time and couple with the distances, it's as if the boat and the destinations become secondary because it's really become transportation to and from restaurants and bars. What if it rains all day? Now a group of 10 crammed into a salon for 6, wanting service for 10 with a crew for 6.

For the type trip and time you have, far more appropriate would be a larger boat and a single destination. A trip to Key West on a 100' perhaps. Then a full day of snorkeling and beaches worked in. Nothing wrong at all with your question. It just isn't a realistic charter as Pascal so well responded. I'm sure under different circumstances, a smaller group, simpler itinerary, he'd give you an incredible trip.
  10. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Since I "soft deleted" this thread I will explain why.

First, the reason for me to do so from time to time is that it is better that Carl can have a second look before our members start to respond just to see the thread disappear later.
    In this case, it was a first post from a new member who is saying he is in Florida, but posting from another state. We have other members doing the same, but maybe not from the first day? Then he is saying he is "knowing next to nothing about anything nautical", yet asking the right questions like about "fuel burn, dock fees and gratuits", something most people would never think of. And finally posting a 10 minute promotion video for a charter boat, instead of just a few facts about it.

This is the reason I let Carl have a look before the thread goes live again.
  11. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

I ran a Johnson 70 for a private owner years ago.
    Agree with the above, not set up to accommodate 10 guests plus crew, bad idea, but good try:)
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Another thought for the OP.
    There is a responsibility by the ship per guest capacity and real head count.
    It takes so many crew, water, Black water service (sewage), food service, tender service, safety equipment (life preservers), recreation equipment and lots more to service the guest usually planed for.
    Unlike a hotel, it is hard for a yacht to handle more heads than design.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I think you're planning too much running and too many stops and too many people for that boat. What I'd recommend is something like Miami to Key West...... and Key West back to Miami with a few days to just do snorkeling or fishing minutes from your dock. Get hotel rooms for 4 of the guys, sleep 6 on the boat.
  14. JWY

JWY Senior Member

AMG - thanks for your fast look out and your explanation. All valid points for concern. It's a bummer to respond to a post and then feel suckered.