Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service

Azimut 62S up the Richelieu canal

Discussion in 'Azimut Yacht' started by Taylored, Apr 5, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Taylored

Taylored New Member

I have to make the big decision within the next 60 days.
    The boat is a 2008 Azimut 62S and on paper her 5ft foot draft makes it easily possible. However the reality of submerged logs and narrow channels have me concerned.

My questions are:

Would you choose the much more direct route through the Richelieu?
    Or
    The safe route via the Erie canal used daily by commercial traffic but more than twice as long.

And

Any US citizens here that have experience with the Richelieu and would like to come on board to consult?
  2. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

where are you coming from and where are you going.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Would I be correct in assuming that you're coming up from the south? In that case I believe you'll need to go through the Champlain Canal first which may give you problems overhead (17'). I haven't personally gone that route though.
    Although the Erie is the longer route, it may work out close to the same in time as from Oswego you can put your throttles down.

P.S. There's very little commercial traffic on either route, certainly very little traffic bigger than your 62.
  4. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

5. Taylored

Taylored New Member

The 62S is claimed at 11 feet for bridge clearance. This is the express or sport version. I am leaving from Miami and final destination will be Montreal for the summer. I've done the run to NYC many times from Miami. Its really the canals that i am a little clueless.
  6. Taylored

Taylored New Member

Upon further inspection, with arch and all i am actually 16 feet. This will get interesting.