Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for Abeking Click for Furuno

Azimut 55s

Discussion in 'Azimut Yacht' started by rokhoc, Jun 8, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. rokhoc

rokhoc New Member

hi!
    I'm thinking about buying a yacht. Me and my wife would use it just during summer. We were thinking about new azimut 55s, or maybe used Princess v62 or Sunseeker predator 64.
    Does anyone of you could help me a bit with that decision? Just what are your opinions on these yachts.
    We are pretty new in yachting. We owned a speed boat (8m). So is it possible to park such yacht just by ourself or is there needed crew too?
    Also could you please tell me what would be approx. year costs for such yacht?
    Thank you very much for your help
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Please do some searches on this site. The Muts have many comments, most not well.
  3. rokhoc

rokhoc New Member

Yeah, i've seen. They are pretty horrible, i wouldn't like to pay 1,5 mio € and having troubles with it every month..
    However i really like the design, but it's probably not worth it.
    But the question is, if azimut is really that bad, why do people still buy it?
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

The reputation of Azimut is better in Europe than in the US, especially for service and warranty work. US boats are built in Brazil and then serviced by MarineMax.

As to your other question, if all you've operated is a 8 meter speed boat, then you do not have the experience to handle either of the boats you've mentioned and would need some training to be able to do so. Until you receive that training and gain some experience, your insurer might require you to use a professional captain as well.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I originally believed the cause was more money than sense, Later I have resolved that
    here in the states; Brain Damage &/or p***s (man part) envy.
  6. olderboater

Actually in the US it's design coupled with being sold by largest boat retailer in the country with a lot of very slick salesmen to somewhat inexperienced customer.
  7. rokhoc

rokhoc New Member

I'd buy it in europe, and use it there too.
    I was thinking to take a skipper for one summer with us so he can shows us how to hadle with all those stuffs, that should work right?
    do i still need someone who would take care of her during the time we are not on board, like 8months a year?
    Or its fine i visit a few times in this period?
  8. Liam

Liam Senior Member

The Azimut 55S is one of the best triple IPS boats on the market, if not the best.
    Loads of nice features on the 55S as being able to cruise at about 22 knots using two engines only and consuming like 110 liters per hour.

The study and R and D behind the build was impressive. Also it is costly as boat has loads of carbon components, especially on the upper structure.
    Look for the video on Youtube by Maurizio Bulleri, and even though it is a good PR spin he gives some important technical details of the 55S.

I would always leave guardian on boat during winter, and by guardian I mean someone who can inspect it, turn on engines and equipment once a month (if left in the water), and do necessary repairs.
    Someone who is boat capable.

If you want IPS in this size you have the Absolute 56 STY, or the Sunseeker 57 Predator which is available with a list of other propulsion options along IPS as shafts and surface drives.
    Pershing is also going to launch the new 5X available with IPS and surface drives.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Don't forget about the Princess v62 or Sunseeker predator 64 you had mentioned also.
  10. rokhoc

rokhoc New Member

but if a yacht has ips system, it shouldn't be a problem for 2 people to park it in marina or?
  11. rokhoc

rokhoc New Member

i was thinking about pershing 62 too, but it seems so complicated to drive. I love the design and all, but also the fuel consumption is pretty high.
    That pershing 5x looks interesting, with ips it would be easy to drive, but i think that surface drive suits more to boat like pershing is.
  12. Liam

Liam Senior Member

Yes IPS or ZF Zeus pods is easy and all, but is a full electronic system. With the right teaching and a good bow-stern thruster shafts are as easy to handle.
    Agreed Pershing is synonymous with speed and surface drvives.
  13. rokhoc

rokhoc New Member

Does anybody knows, if there are maybe some problems with surface drives or ips? Like servicing and so on
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I understand the IPS has to come out of the water for service.
    In the states, Volvo service and parts are thin and expensive.
    Zeus can be serviced while the ship is in the water.
    Our Cummins dealer has been supporting our Zeus packages.
    The surface drive used to supported by TwinDisk. Been a while since we have been around them.
    My personal thought is they only go fast, large comprimize under all other features.

We have witnessed the props get clobbered on IPS and Zeus. The IPS middle shaft seems to get bent more often.

The pods will out preform the surface drive while docking.
    The surface drives will out preform the pods at speed.
    The pods will out preform the surface drives at slower speeds.
  15. Yachtguymke

Yachtguymke Senior Member

Azimut's are not built in Brazil for the US market. They are built in Italy. There is a Brazilian line if that is what you are referring to.
  16. Liam

Liam Senior Member

They had a Brazilian factory opened up a few years back. As far as I know it is still open.
    The factory was a split with hulls and parts coming from Italy, and fitting out carried in Brazil. Some models where started being molded in Brazil as the small 43 with extended aft deck built solely for the Brazilian market.

Many Italian companies opened up in Brazil (Sessa and Ferretti did this too) when the market was very much interesting a few years back there, and did this to avoid the high import tax Brazilian government imposed on imported luxury goods.
    In some year I heard Azimut sold about 100 boats in Brazil, I think it was 2012 or 13.
    I think the Ferretti Group operation closed down, Sessa is still open.
  17. olderboater

If that's the case, then I'm mistaken and have been misinformed by someone I would expect to know. Regardless, their reputation in Europe is much better than in the US. How much is Azimut and how much is Marine Max, I can't say for certain.
  18. rokhoc

rokhoc New Member

But sessa has still a factory in europe too or?
  19. Liam

Liam Senior Member

Here is the PR from 2010; http://www.charterworld.com/news/azimutbenetti-group-opens-boatyard-brazil

As far as I know the 55S was never one of the models build in Brazil, but I cannot fully confirm or deny this. Best to ask Azimut themselves I guess.

Sessa Italy closed and reopened again last year in 2015.
  20. MikeGT

MikeGT New Member

Getting back to the topic, I've had my 2008 for about 1 year in CA. Had my eye on a 55 Azimut for years, but only wanted to buy on the west coast. Finally, the opportunity came up and I jumped. I took my 46 Maxum to San Diego where is sold in 30 days (it was the nicest one available and showed that sparing no expense when taking care of a boat pays off when selling).
    I've been very happy with the Azimut. No issues except the transmission pressure sensor on the port side was lighting up at 1500 RPM's. I had a CAT guy out and we found that the threshold was set to low (about 325, instead of 375 like the starboard side). I bought this boat due to the style, that was the number one reason. I bought the 55 because it was the smallest boat that gave me 2 helms and a full size master in the middle where my wife can actually make the bed without banging her head on the ceiling (like our master in our previous boat at the bow). As a collector of cars both exotic and classics, I know that getting what you love can result in compromises such as time and money. Like most of my cars, my Azimut is not my "daily driver", so I'm o.k. with the down time as I can enjoy the boat 12 months per year. Every time I'm on this boat, I utter the words under my breath "man, I love this boat".