Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for Ocean Alexander

Azimut 100 Leonardo with Volvo Penta IPS?

Discussion in 'Azimut Yacht' started by Horatio Caine, Aug 23, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Horatio Caine

Horatio Caine New Member

Here's an idea I wanted to share with the brains of this forum...

If I'd order a Azimut 100 Leonardo with the Volvo Penta IPS-system; would that in theory make it un-necesseary to have a crew?

I've always liked the idea of a yacht but not to need a crew and not be able to control it myself.

What do you think?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Ummmm no, do you think you're capable of running a 100' and the damage that it is capable of? Maintaining the vessel of that size is a full time job for several crew.
  3. Horatio Caine

Horatio Caine New Member

Even with the IPS system?
  4. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

yes. There is far more to maintain than just the propulsion system.
  5. Horatio Caine

Horatio Caine New Member

Ok... What would you say is the maximum size for a yacht being steered by a single person?

Bear in mind that I'm not having illusions about mantaining it myself, just using it. When maintenence is neeeded, I go to the experts.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It depends on experience level, do you have someone experienced to get the dock lines and help if you have an emergency or fire? I'd say 40' give or take.
  7. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

There is no maximum size for a yacht that can be steered by only one person. They all can.

It's not about being able to run a large boat by yourself, it's about whether one person can be in two places at the same time on a large yacht when the need arises. And the answer to that is no, they can't.

I'm sorry, but your question is so off base that I have to question it's sincerity.
  8. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

No need to worry about steering that boat, you will be in the yard more than at sea getting your IPS seals renewed. :D
  9. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Do you have any (bad) experience with IPS/3..?
  10. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Out of the 100s of Volvos we service each year we do about 20 IPS units too, the only bad thing gone wrong is to 2 boats. One unit had a worn lower seal and the other had a faulty position sensor.

Thats not bad going over a 5 year period. All the owners seem very happy with them, except one owner traded up to a boat with Zeus drives. That was sold very quickly and he's now back with IPS.
  11. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

One 70 ft+ yacht four VP with IPS's, water in drives and seals renewed every three month at a cost of $27,000 and now after 2 years they are covering the final rebuild cost next month and that is it. Builder and Volvo are reportedly saying the owner is on his own now.

Two different displays at this years Miami Boat Show, one had the modified Volvo Penta sea water strainer driving the IPS and the other had the old strainer which leaked on 63 Tiaras before they were changed along with the alternators and engine mounts. Volvo denied they ahd a problem.

I was on another 2009 express 70 ft boat last week with 4 IPS-600's with the same old strainers plus a failure on the electronics.

41 Tiara with IPS that had major electronic problems, changed joystick and harness's three times only to find the control's had not been set up correctly.

Propeller drive shaft and prop issues on at least three boats that I know of and electrolysis problems on two.

...so if you have had only two problem boats good luck but mind you the main Volvo Penta rep for the USA also said that the sea water strainers did not leak and that there was no problem with the controls until he very nearly put the Tiara rep over the side when the Volvo guy was driving the boat and went to do a high speed turn. That boat was taken back by the factory.

I do agree that dealers stay loyal to the product they are selling but I am afraid the numbers do not add up from what we see over here. :eek:
  12. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

OK Yachtjocky, so you have no bad experience with IPS/3, which is what a 100-footer should have. I am asking as we are planning to have three of them (IPS 1200) in our new 80-footer.
  13. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

I must admit that I can not say for sure that the large Azimut (I think it was an Azimut) was having a problem with the drives but I do know a very large express style boat was hauled ashore at the yard that does an awful lot of Azimut work here in Fort Lauderdale and the drives were off. I will try and find out in the next day or so if they were indeed the bigger IPS's and will let you know.

On another slightly different note, how many of those engines have been used in a pleasure boat with the higher rating and RPM.
  14. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

The D13 has only been out since late 2009 so perhaps not that many. But do you think a max RPM of 2300 is high on a pleasure boat?
  15. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

Not at all but normally engine manufacturers develop engines and have them in commercial vehicles or applications before then placing them in Commercial vessels all at lower RPM's before installing them in Pleasure yachts and rate them at 2100 or 2300 or higher, very few are lower.

Vee drive MTU's in those Azimuts are a proven package and are installed well back in the hull. How much space do you gain with 3 IPS's.
  16. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

It is not about space, but performance and about handling as the OP indicated. Our IPS clients are very impressed by the performance and by the joystick when docking. Some of our clients like to see themselves as captains on their 80-footers...