Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for MotorCheck Click for Abeking Click for Comfort

Aussie query

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Capt. Joe, May 8, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt. Joe

Capt. Joe Guest

Maybe Trourty can shed some light on this for us.
    In the premier issue of the new trawler mag Power Cruising, there is a mention of a fellow cruising single handed on a Duck, using a particular Australian type paravane system (flopper-stoppers), which apparently are easier to deploy / retrieve and do not destroy the boat or decapitate crew...
    I would love to see the design differences as opposed to the Beeby designed usual concept widely used with some variations in North America, (unfortunately the magazine production staff does not appear to have enough awareness of how important it would be to discuss the concept for the benefit of the readership and not just mention it in passing :mad: ).
  2. trouty

trouty New Member

Sorry Joe

but thats all news to me!

What sorta duck? An eider duck?
    How do you get down off an elephant? - You don't you get down off a duck! ;)

Havent heard squat about it - not the duck or his flopper stoppe paravanes - you sure it isn't a whopper stopper? What date is the article - not April 1st? ;) :D

Keen to hear whatever you can find out!

Chheers!
  3. Capt. Joe

Capt. Joe Guest

The "duck" is a Diesel Duck mon! A not-very-pretty but said to have the ability to grow on ya, George Buhler design. I guess you'd have to be a Trawler Crawler to fathom these depths...
    Now, about the duck's flopper stoppers (paravane stabilizers): The article mentioned something about the Aussie system, where the fish is not deployed very deep, like at about the vessel's draft level. And, according to the writer, because of the shallow deployment, the fish don't fly out of the water and attack the boat. ?!? So for the life of me I can not figure out how with that kind of short wire on the fish you would not end up with the opposite...how can you put the arm out far enough to have leverage and not end up with a lot of vertical distance gained during rolls...I guess close in may work for a really light boat?
    Actually, the whole topic is an oxymoron, because if arm and wire lengths are properly designed, then old Capt. Beeby's system works just fine. People and boats get hurt when the boys just decide to build something one afternoon and throw together some pipe and cable on a plan-as-you-go basis :D

Who knows, the whole thing could be one of those misterious things you read in boating magazines, that could only exist in boating magazines... :cool:

Trouty, you'll have to go to a commercial fishboat harbor to see paravanes. I don't think you'll see them too often on pleasurecraft, except maybe the real salty ones, like Nordhavn.
  4. trouty

trouty New Member

Are they a variation

on the z wing paravane?

Theres an article by Pete Montague in Sport & Billfish Downunder magazine (online - free) about the z wing....

http://www.billfish.tv/download_issue.html

Dont forget to right click and hold down on the cover and select "SAVE TARGET AS" this will ensure a very fast download.

Z wing's S'posed to have a lot less resistance to the water pressure and hence tows in closer thus deeper behind the boat.

Download the 5 or 6 issues and search thru them - you'll find it. I don't specifically recall which issue...

Might be of some interest!

Cheers!