Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Cross

Article on Increasing Wave Heights and Ocean Winds

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by AnotherKen, Apr 26, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. AnotherKen

AnotherKen Member

2. RER

RER Senior Member

Well, the earth is thought to be about 4.5 billion years old. The oceans are believed to have begun to form about 3.8 billion years ago. I'm not sure what a 33 year snapshot tells us.
  3. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Short term studies are hard to evaluate.

The largest waves I witnessed where 20'+ waves breaking over the Dana Point Harbor main jetty at the entrance. Surfers were all over the break, which started way outside of the jetty. Looked like Waimea Bay in Hawaii, 2' of sea foam on the shore as far as the eye could see all the way down to San Clemente Pier. This was summer of 1976. Made all the Surfer Magazine covers. Never have seen it again, still waiting, maybe a 50 year event?

How does that fit in a study that starts at 1985 but has a data point completely outside of that particular data set?
  4. OrthoKevin

OrthoKevin Member

Like Walmart forecasting sales for the next 10 years based upon a two-second window of receipts. I saw “rising sea levels” and stopped reading this claptrap.
  5. Lepke

Lepke Member

US West Coast. Cruise NW Passage to Alaska.
    It's only a few years ago that scientists admitted that rogue waves existed. Something sailors have know forever.