Click for Perko Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Cross

Anybody know what this box is?

Discussion in 'Cabo Yacht' started by Jrms80, Dec 3, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Jrms80

Jrms80 Member

image.jpeg
    This small box with the rusted, hole vented cover is way deep under the instrument panel. Obviously has some corrosion issues but I have no idea what it is or what it does or if it's still working. Anybody recognize it? I was able to stick one arm into the hole it's in to take this picture. I hope it's not important cause it would be a ***** to try and get it out of there to clean it or replace it.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2015
  2. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Looks like a DC to DC power supply. Probably either 24V to 12V or vice versa, could be 12V to 5V ... trace the wiring.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Looks like some converter. Check voltage on input and output terminals and trace teh wiring to see what it does
  4. Jrms80

Jrms80 Member

Easier said than done! It's buried pretty good but I'll look again. So it's changing DC voltage for some component that needs something other than the 12volts supplied, interesting.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You have a electronic componant right above it, probably part of your GPS or VHF. Plus this is also an after-market item. It has to be accessable, and it's probably easier than it looks at first glance. I'd guess you can either remove a panel on your dash or the whole helm with a few screws, or there's a panel that opens behind it in the cabin. Everything that goes in can come out. I agree it's a DC voltage step-down. If all your electronics, spotlight and windless are working so is that. So a I wouldn't consider getting to it a high priority.
  6. Beau

Beau Senior Member

7. Beau

Beau Senior Member

You keep asking us questions, and then scold us for our comprehensive responses. Keep asking your questions, but be prepared for what you receive in quality info. Did you do any kind of survey to know what you were buying??
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  8. Jrms80

Jrms80 Member

Beau,

Where did I scold someone in this thread ? I'm not sure what to make of your question to me about the survey.
  9. captholli

captholli Senior Member

I was a bit baffled by that statment also, sometimes it's prudent to look at the time posted and write it off to a bad hair day. In no way have you scolded anyone on this forum . The box your asking about is either a AC to DC converter or a DC to DC inverter . See if you can find a nomenclature plate on it for input and output voltage or use a VOM to ascertain input and output voltage.
  10. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

We appreciate your real life boat issues, the discussions surrounding them is what makes this forum work f or a large audience.
  11. Jrms80

Jrms80 Member

I find all boating issues interesting.

Boating as well as tinkering with boats and their mechanical systems, while trying to understand how they work, is what I enjoy doing. Sharing ideas here on this board is part of that and I very much appreciate any and all comments when they are shared in a positive spirit. I'm glad I found this forum.

Sometimes a posters tone can be mistaken, maybe that's what's happened here with this post and my question. Or maybe it's just a "bad hair" day. In any event hopefully everyone is still willing to "stand by" because I may have more issues as I peel this new onion!
  12. bliss

bliss Senior Member

"Move along, nothing to see here. "Men In Black"
  13. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Joe

Poor word choice, should have been "resist" Go back to your bilge pump thread, that's where my assessment came from. There was a lot of thoughtful comment offered with your conclusion being something like "I ain't gonna do any of it.....but thank you" and that's fine, your choice, And keep asking your questions, that wasn't my point.

My survey question is this : so far on your new boat you've had a dripping dripless, a bilge pump that lets water in, and now an electrical component you can't identify. Didn't your surveyor discuss any these item with you as the boat was inspected?
  14. Jrms80

Jrms80 Member

Beau,

Once again your conclusion is confusing. I ultimately installed a check valve as recommended by many in that thread. After much consideration and what I thought was some humor I decided a check valve was best solution for my boat. I said I appreciated everyone's input, and I ment it.

I left the door open on the survey question you asked to see if you possibly had a reasonable reason for it. You went right through, your comments are lets just say "unhelpful"and leave it at that.

Please consider skipping my future posts. Life's short and I don't want to expose you to any further disappoint in my boat purchasing process or my possible bad repair decisions.
  15. Beau

Beau Senior Member

My point being, maybe your surveyor owes you some $$, but I'll stay out of your "hair"
  16. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

That's a fairly good statement but given the problems this guy has had so far he might not have any hair left.
  17. RER

RER Senior Member

Maybe the bilge pump didn't back flow at sea trial? Maybe the shafts weren't leaking at survey? How long ago was it? Anyway, the typical recreational vessel survey will usually contain a disclaimer for any misstatements, errors, or ommissions, and state that it's an opinion of conditions as found at that time and not a warranty.
  18. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I thought the survey question was quite legitimate. As I've seen all the issues he's asked about, I've wondered the same. He's dodged that question. So, I'll try again. Did you have the boat surveyed? If so, were any of these issues mentioned in the survey or did all this surface later. It does bring about one comment I'd make for other boat buyers and that is to either walk through the boat with a surveyor or find a captain familiar with it to point out everything to you including what items are. For any of us who are new to a specific boat it can really short cut the process.

As to the check valve, I saw where you did decide. It also seemed to me though you were very resistant for a good bit of the thread. Again, you're here asking for advice and part of my advice would be just what you decided there, not to take short cuts or solutions that might work, but to go for the best solution. It ends up eliminating a lot of headaches and actually saving money in the long term.

You're bringing us into the middle of these things and we don't have the knowledge of what has taken place to really know how to best assist you. Asking about the survey isn't to chastise you for not having one although it is to advise the next person. However, it does help us understand how these issues have arisen. It's just like the corrosion comment which was probably not made properly, but in seeing it we would have the question of whether it's an old, resolved issue, or you have some issue now that will continue to cause corrosion.

Just a little background on how you got to where you are might help us in helping you get to where you want to be.
  19. Jrms80

Jrms80 Member

The bildge pump issue wasn't consistent and was missed in the general boat survey. Really this is a big deal? To who? It's now fixed for less than $20! The port prop seal had a small leak/drip and it only drips when the boat is running so it was masked by the small amount of water that was already in the bilge. This could/should have been caught but frankly I wanted the boat and if the owner balked at a price reduction for it I would have bought the boat anyway.

The owner already had agreed to drop the price several thousand for deferred raw water system and after cooler maintenance found due in the mechanical survey. The boat runs perfect and isn't overheating. The owner was pretty upset when these unknown to him issues came up giving me significant leverage for the price cut. I'll take care of those items this winter.

The electric box? Really that's a problem? How? I just asked what it was?

I'm having a blast operating this boat. I smile every time I board it with my boys. It was an amazing fishing season in San Diego! After owning the boat almost 6 months I'm now looking more in depth into any lingering issues or questions I have had because I want too. I now have the time since fishing has finally wound down.

I've enjoyed most comments from posters on this boards. Unfortunately as in all forums there are always a few who prefer some sort of conflict or have the need to appear smarter than everyone, no matter I'll continue to post. Thanks again to all who truly wanted to help out a fellow boater. I hope someday to return the favor.
  20. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

How does the owner not know when aftercooler and heat exchanger maintanence is recommended by the manufacturer? Any engine I own, I download and look at the maintanence schedule.

But anyways, relax and enjoy your boat. Everyone is just asking questions seeking more info in order to assist you with your issues. You also have to remember that this is a worldwide forum and many people have different languages and things get translated and worded differently sometimes.