Click for Westport Click for Cross Click for JetForums Click for Mulder Click for Furuno

Any requirement to display the FCC Station License...?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Norseman, Mar 1, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Searched this forum, searched the FCC page, surfed Google.
    No clear indication or requirement for displaying the Station license in the wheel house?

I had it laminated and attached with two-sided tape next to the helm station just in case, same with the Marine Radio Operator Permit.
    Easy to peel of and hide if not needed but not sure yet.

Anybody..?

(Private boat, 27', plenty International voyages to the Bahamas coming up, trying to get all my ducks in a row [​IMG])

[​IMG]
  2. Iknownothing

Iknownothing Member

Pretty sure you no longer need a permit unless you operate a commercial vessel or operate a charter more than 6 passengers.

I still remeber our old id from the 70's, wxv-7407.
  3. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Aye, the question was if you need to Display the Station License in the wheel house?

Yes, an FCC Station License and a Radio Operator's License is required for voyaging International, even on a small private craft.
    (Otherwise I would not have spent the money and the effort to do it)
  4. Iknownothing

Iknownothing Member

Brain fart, skipped over the Bahamas part
  5. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Aye, Brain Farts occur more frequently around here as well.
    Wife is not shy about reminding me.
    My dog however pretend not to notice.

New call sign is WDI 6225.
    Doubt I will ever use it, but was glad to cough up $215 to the Government for my Station License.
  6. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

The only time I've ever been asked to produce either was during our annual flag-state inspections. Never in the Bahamas- even when applying for a charter permit. If I were you, I'd put in a folder with the registration.
  7. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Ye
    Yeah, I should but working my younger years on commercial crafts with official permits plastered all over the bulkheads so visiting officials could verify the legality of the operation, I am brainwashed:)

All the white fiberglass on my boat looks kind of boring, not sure these FCC tickets did anything to spruce it up. Perhaps I put 'em in a folder and replace with old fashioned pin-ups instead :cool:
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Not that I know. I also keep all the paperwork in a binder incl documentation,
    dinghy/PWCs regs, FCC stuff, EPIRB reg, previous boarding reports and the stupid garbage plan. In the bahamas I have the cruising permit in there too

Shows the boarding crew it s all in order. They usually get a kick out of the garbage plan as many boats don't have it
  9. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Ouch, Garbage Plan...?
    If I knew anything about it, all forgotten now.
    What, where and how?
    Is it required? Home Made Plan, or Official Guidelines or what?
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

13m and up I think. Some silly form stating where garbage will be stored and how it will be disposed Like "all garbage shall be bagged and stored on top deck tk be disposed ashore on trash bins."

Then of course if you are in New England you d better state that you will only use clear trash bags and swear that you will faithfully recycle :)
  11. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Ok cool, my new toy is below 13 m, should be ok.
    Got new insurance quote today, $2,037 versus $3,130 from Boat US.
    Whopping 2/3 rd. The cheaper company requires an EPIRB for Bahamas trips however. Never heard of that before but ok, $375 but saving $1k.
    Deal.
    (The EPIRB requirement is for boats 27' and under. Well, my GB 2770 is 27' but the motors stick out another 2+'. Wonder if that counts....?)
    Will probably get an EPIRB anyways. It will certainly please mama, she thinks one can buy safety at West Marine.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Typical simple garbage plan.
    Usually in ships files and posted next to the Dunnage/Plastic discharge placecard.
    Free Plastic discharge and oil discharge placecards at West Marine.

I update all the files, placecards, notices and more when we take on a new customers boat.

GARBAGE PLAN

M/V ************

11 March 2015

All garbage and the like will be collected on board and placed into suitable containers and bags.

These containers and bags will be gathered from around this ship and stored in the Galley area or After Boat Deck until such time for removal from this ship.

These containers and bags will be removed to approved land side disposal areas when available and the need arises.

Removal and handling will be under the supervision of the ships master and/or designates.

Captain Ralph Crapps

Ships Master

M/V
  13. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Good info, thx.