Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Comfort Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights

Any advice before buying a 1961 53' Huckins?

Discussion in 'Huckins Yacht' started by sproatt, Mar 28, 2012.

1. sproatt

sproatt New Member

I have just joined the forum after reading the discussions and posts. We are returning to big water boating after a brief respite. The Huckins in New York is our first target (Dry Martini / 1961 53' Huckins) and have found threads on her from others that have looked her over. 14 Freedom (Dan) took a serious look and survey with advice from others. We would welcome any comments and advice. This forum is a wealth of information!
    Regards,
    Great Lakes Jim.
  2. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

As with any wood boat, check the bottom thoroughly. I once spent a winter watching a new bottom installed on a 56' Huckins.
  3. Savasa

Savasa Senior Member

Hiya,
    Welcome aboard Jim. Advice on buying a wooden boat? Psychological counseling! What Ken said regarding the bottom and fasteners and also any place fresh water can collect (dry rot). NOTHING rides like a wooden boat!
  4. sproatt

sproatt New Member

moving forward

Thank you gentlemen. Good friends are traveling to NY (a CC captain) that has extensive wooden boat experience to take a good look. We hope that we can move then to a proper survey and then talk it over. I have in my past a Chris Craft, two Lymans, and 1967 37' Egg Harbor - all wooden. Our last boat was a 46' Uniflite MY, and we miss the big boat / big lake experience too much to let the rest of our life slip away without another go!
  5. RB480

RB480 Senior Member

I see that you are in Holland, MI. There are 3 beautiful Huckins stored there for the winter months, you just missed out on a 1970 65' that was in bristol condition right in your back yard!

There are a few Captains that take care of a few Huckins at Eldeans yard there, might want to look them up and pick their brains!
  6. chuckb

chuckb Senior Member

I looked at her over a year ago and thought she needed a lot of attention... there were lots of original gear, both good stuff (keeping it classic) but also some very dated electrical panels, I don't think she's ever had a true refit. It was December and there was snow on the boat, so I didn't pop the hatches to see the engines. I got the impression the marina owner (who owns the boat) used her as a spare time project when things were slow. I'm not saying she's a bad deal, but would recommend going in with minimal expectations... expecting to find work needed in several areas.

But I hope I'm wrong!;)

Chuck
  7. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Jim, first and foremost, make sure that all the termites are holding hands. Get it in writing.
    On a serious note, among your other due diligence, get Cindy Purcell's phone number down in JAX as you will undoubtedly be speaking with her at length about tips & how-tos.

They are great, classy boats.
  8. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

When the termites stop holding hands, the portlights fall out.

Back to being serious: Hopefully YF member Maldwin will comment here. He has a wealth of information and hands on, multiple Huckins ownership experience.
  9. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

Dry Martini has been on the market for several years, with a price that has been spiraling downward the entire time. She may still be the perfect boat for someone, but some of her "upgrade" modifications are taste-specific and best suited to the Miami Vice era.

I last saw her in perhaps 2008, though it may have been 2007. Personally, I expect (assume) she's still a savable project. It would take a lot of neglect in +/- 5 years to make her ready for Captain Stihl.
  10. maldwin

maldwin Senior Member

There are many other Huckins in that size range which will cost you much less in the long run, although their asking prices are around $250 000. Pm me if you would like more specific advice.
    Best,
    Maldwin
  11. Wl3175

Wl3175 Member

I captain 2 Huckins and we are in Eldeans in holland for the winter stop by next week I will show you around ours.we looked at dry martini a few years ago she was in really bad shape our surveyor put a complete restoration at 500,000 plus .there are much better boats on the marker .
    Just sent you a private message with my phone number