Click for Nordhavn Click for Cross Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for Abeking

Anchor chain stuck in pulpit

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by ruby, Aug 5, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. ruby

ruby Member

Has anyone had their chain get stuck on the edge that goes through the hole in the pulpit on either side of the roller? I am looking at a stainless unit from Kingston anchors, looks like a complete one piece set up.

Attached Files:

2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Hard to see in the picture. Ideally the roller should be shaped with no gaps on the side to keep the chain centered

I sometimes get a similar problem where the chain jumps to the edge of the roller. Most of the times it doesn't matter but once in a while the shackle pin gets stuck on the edge of the chute. I've been meaning to cut two round starboard discs and put them on each side to keep the chain from sliding on the side...
  3. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Ruby

I have had my chain jump the roller and get jammed in the side. My unit is probably very similar to yours. Took some doing to get it out. The two or three times it has happen to me, I believe I was bring the anchor up too fast and the chain just starts swinging/wobbling. I usually bring it up in intervals and have had none of that problem
  4. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

Haven't had the chain get caught. I replaced the roller and had to cut the width down to fit so that helped prevent this. I started looking for a stainless insert more because mine has worn away from previous owners not using a snubber line. Chain has ground out a big part of the vertical Fiberglass. The current width of the opening is too small for many I found. I think cutting each side out would be easy enough. The length of the opening was the real issue. Many of the pre-made flush inserts were too short to cover the entire slot. The one you mentioned looks perfect but I think the 25" length is too short. Can't remember now the exact opening dimensions. If you find one, please let us know.
  5. ruby

ruby Member

You guys know as soon as I find the best repair, I will post pics and advise what parts were used..
  6. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    Hi Ruby, any updates?
  7. RER

RER Senior Member

I think Pasacal's solution is a good one.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014