Click for Cross Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Burger

American sailors saved 7 times since July

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Maxwell, Jan 27, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Maxwell

Maxwell Senior Member

There have been a lot of the unexpected incidents the last couple of weeks that resulted in boats on the sea floor, I'm afraid this 1 would not be so unexpected... Was watching the news this eve and came across these guys. The fact that they're putting other's lives and resources at risk drives me crazy and they haven't even started their ocean crossing yet...

"Two yachtsmen who have been rescued nine times in seven months have been described as a "catastrophe waiting to happen" and urged to "leave UK waters"."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-35420983
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

"Got to go and loosen the ropes"
    Quote from the video.

Seems every time I point out the obvious, I get a blast.

But here is another example of challenged people on the waters.
  3. Iknownothing

Iknownothing Member

"Yachtsmen".......

"Hey hold my beer while I try to sail across the Atlantic"
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

LOLOLOLOL, At least they cannot run aground when crossing the Atlantic......It's sad that these guys do waste so many resources over stupidity.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

That was on the BBC TV last night. If they do manage to clear land I doubt they will be heard from again given the weather they will encounter at this time of year on their beat to windward
  6. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

What is the magic # for these two. How many rescues are required before they think, " Hmm, maybe sailing across the Atlantic isn't really for me".

That being asked, at least I can't call them quitters.
  7. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

If they've been rescued that many times by authorities and those rescues reported, how many times do you think they've been aided by others along the way.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Let them go. Cut the "ROPES".
    Save the planet, feed the crabs.

There are Silverton operators out there to greet them if they make it..
  9. chesapeake46

Agreed. I hadn't even thought of that. At what point does a person realize that they are just not destined to follow that dream.
    I don't want to call them Nit Wits but if the Nit fits......
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

A screenwriter and author from California who feels entitled to rescue services... Probably also a college professor at one of those California brat factories... :)
  11. chesapeake46

Have you seen the video of a naval ship gunning down a pirate vessel ?
    I think next time they should pluck the survivors off the boat and put it out of it's misery.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Naw, They would just get another bote.

Where ever they got this bote from is also funny to think about.
    I know the seller is not responsible, but he must have realized who\what he was delivering to.
  13. Iknownothing

Iknownothing Member

I'm really struggling with the the "fire caused by a candle after the boat tipped over" part.

If these two ever make it to open water, we should be seeing "two sailors disappear on transatlantic voyage". Hopefully they wise up before something worse happens.
  14. Maxwell

Maxwell Senior Member

I think most people that participate on this forum do so to learn, and offer knowledge with the goal of making things better as well as help other members maintain and operate their respective vessels in the safest manner possible. I personally have learned a lot and strive to do so. What baffles me is that there are people out there, whether it be wanting to start a charter operation that is destined to fail or cross an ocean on a bayliner, that really try these things.
    Due to people that are in peril even though they've done things right, being afraid to call for help due to cost, I DO NOT think that when it comes to rescue etc that a "pay to play" business model is appropriate. However is there anything that can be done to actually discourage people like the sailboat drivers in England at the moment to abandon their idea as it will likely end in others risking their lives to save them? I just hope darwin does his thing before any other life is lost trying to rescue people that clearly put themselves in harms way.
  15. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I don't have an answer as to how to discourage people doing things like this. One big difference in power boaters and sailors is that the power boater who is way over their head, likely stays very close to shore. The sailor decides to cross oceans. If you posted this same topic on some sailing sites I know of, you'd have a large group of forum participants telling them to not give up on their dreams. Some of the experiences are so romanticized as to be about as far from normal reality as possible.

I know sometimes there are prisoner exchanges. Is there a crazy sailor exchange? Primadonna couple for this couple perhaps?
  16. Iknownothing

Iknownothing Member

Falls into the "just because I can doesn't mean I should" category.

Sure I could buy an old rotten to the gunwales sailboat and try and sail across the Atlantic. Hey why not, I was conceived on a boat so I'm experienced!

Fortunately none of the responders were injured during those numerous rescues. It's one thing to put yourself at risk, putting others I harms way due to your stupidity takes things to a whole new level.