Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay Click for Perko Click for Walker

Aluminum/Steel American yachts

Discussion in 'General Trawler Discussion' started by johnny mac, Jul 19, 2015.

1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The OP says he has been researching over the past couple of years. That leads me to assume that he concluded safety is a priority over popularity or resale.

That may be. When I get an idea I consider it correct until proven otherwise. Some people don't want to hear ideas to the contrary. Others understand that there may be things they haven't considered. That's especially important when going against conventional wisdom. As Timvail points out conventional wisdom is 360 to 1 against steal in that area. That should prompt a lot of thought, and is why I asked about his reasons for the choice. If he plans to put it up on the rocks or cut through the ice steal is the way to go. If however his decision is based on a 'what if I hit a rock' thought he should know that the conventional steal or aluminum hull won't fair well enough to be worth the downsides of the materials in a recreational vessel of that size.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Conventional wisdom often isn't.

In fact I might label "Conventional Wisdom" as an oxymoron.