Click for Burger Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder

Air Pollution in Fort Lauderdale?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Norseman, Apr 9, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

I thought they tore down the FPL power plant a few years ago, but same sh!t different day:

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2017
  2. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Boat was cleaned recently.
    Now this after a brief rain shower.
    Some blame it on dirty exhaust from jets taking off and landing.
    Anvbody knows what the cause is?
  3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

This reminds of what we had in Antibes most of the time as well, we were cleaning the boat every week when I was there. Nice airport is close...
  4. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

How long ago was that?
    Modern jets are **** clean and efficient, otherwise all the runways, taxi ways and tail sections would be black.
    Old jets from the 60s and 70s would trail black smoke.
  5. bstet

bstet New Member

Ash from burning the sugar cane fields?
  6. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Nah, we gave that up
    a couple of years ago.
    I live 2.5 NM West of the coastline and with a prevailing SE wind, I should have clean air from the entire North Atlantic all day and all night, instead my lawn furniture is black and boat is full of black dust every few days:(
  7. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

At the villa, not far from Nice Airport, the fallout started to rot the books in the library. The pages stunk of fuel. Little black spots covered all the top of the pages. Some jolly important prints too.

All very nice having big patio doors, but it comes with consequences.
  8. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Nice Airport again?
    So the culprit is airplanes taking off and landing?
    Hard to filter jet exhaust, but I always thought modern jet engines were pretty darn clean compared to alsmost anything, like a boat Diesel engine of which you can see black clouds across the Gulf Stream because somebody forgot to overhaul their injectors or are running way over-propped:(
    Not sure those guys are my air pollution problem however, soot falls to the surface shortly, then the crabs have to choke on it 30 hours later,
    This black flying dust in Fort Lauderdale keeps the Boat Washers in business
    and runs me ragged:(
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I recently moved the boat I used to run to FTL and the local washers insisted on doing it every two weeks. In Miami we can go 3 weeks or more

Oh and the diver wants to do it twice a month instead of once a month

Here in Miami that black soot is worst in winter because we get some westerlies. It s also dryer so the first rain after a dry spell brings out all the black soot
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Here at Huckins, Just next to the CSX rail, coal trains come by southbound and leave a hell of a coal dust cloud daily.

I remember also picking up our Bert from the ole Bertram yard (Miami River). Covered in JP exhaust from KMIA.

I think the coal trains are dirtier.
    Improved rail bridge on the New river, under I-95, CSX?

I remember Turkey Point is nuke, but don't remember any coal fired power stations around there. Somebody help me on this.
  11. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Our marina is 100 yards from the Power Sation. We get covered in crap every time they start-up from cold. Doens't happen very often as we are hard-wired to a French nuke station.

THEY come to US and buy Fallout cleaner and clean the boats. Can you imagine that happening in FL?
  12. Ward

Ward Senior Member

I feel lucky to be living in a place that gets most of its power from hydroelectricity:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BC_Hydro

Hydro isn't without its own problems, but dirty fallout of various kinds isn't among them.
  13. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

West winds, and sugar cane burning. We sit up by I-95 and it is pretty dirty up there all the time.
  14. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Most of the time we have a ESE winds and should not be getting anything from the West, sugar canes or not.
    Westerly winds comes only with frontal passage yet the black dust is present all the time.
    When we moved here 18 years ago the powerplant would burn oil at night according to local folklore, supposedly they tore the plant down and with the plant being SE from my house, I expected the problem to be over, but it is not.
  15. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Well, the problem appears to be localized, as we don't have it.
  16. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Must be, you are on the ICW West side and North of Bahia mar?
    I am further inland and closer to the airport.
    I will dig a bit deeper and ask around in the area to see who gets it and who don't..
    (Maybe just here because the Gods are angry at me :eek:)
  17. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

I got a cottage in Northern Norway where electricity is being powered by hydro.
    Clean air, no major roads, no airports, no nothing and way North of the Artic Circle.
    To bad it is cold most of the year, but love it anyways.. IMG_0611.JPG
  18. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Yes, you are well south and west of us. I know on the pollution checks, they see more particulates and more other pollutants there. This site might help you. You might even make a call.

http://www.broward.org/Environment/AirQuality/Pages/Default.aspx
  19. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Thx, I just now sent them an email asking information on where the soot and the black dust is coming from.
    Perhaps a class action lawsuit can stop it if caused by a local power plant or the trains. Doubt they will move the airport so I don't have to wash my cars and boats quite as often. :rolleyes:
  20. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Your boat is a bit closer to the Ocean than mine.
    More salt, less brackish. I send divers down every 3-4 months, not once a month.
    Up-River we get slime on the bottom paint rather than barnacles.
    Slime goes off with a soft scrub sponge, no biggie.
    Props and shafts get barnacles unless Prop Speed is on the menu but I did the cleaning myself jumping in with a scraper now and then.
    About 10 years ago I got lazy and started calling divers, or un-employed and starving buddies. :D