Click for Northern Lights Click for Furuno Click for Mag Bay Click for Cross Click for JetForums

Ahoy! Looking to get into motor yachting in a couple years.

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by wagginrights, May 7, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. wagginrights

wagginrights New Member

Just looking for some advice! The game plan is two years from now to depart from the Fort Lauderdale, Florida area and work our way clockwise around the Caribbean / South America / Mexico, and end in the Keys.

For one reason or another, we like the idea of a 53' or bigger Hatteras in the $100k range. Are there suitable boats at a better price point? Are we totally crazy?

We have experience handling houseboats in large lakes, but that's the extent of it.

Any advice you can provide regarding trip planning, training, brokers, marinas and stops along the way would be awesome. Personal anecdotes welcomed and encouraged! Thanks!
  2. RER

RER Senior Member

When you say around South America, do you mean around South America? ...as in Tierra del Fuego/Cape Horn around South America?

...in a $100K Hatteras?
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That price point for the Hatteras (assuming you're talking about a 1980's vintage) is off by 100% to 300% plus refit costs, and the prices are rising. Then you have fuel. Lot's and lots of diesel for a trip like that, and maintenance. Although I'm a motor head (currently running a 1981 Hatteras 56 MY), I'd be inclined to recommend sail for this type of adventure unless you have a lot of money, You're also talking about taking a 30 year old vessel to areas where getting service will be hit or miss.
    After docking a houseboat on a windy lake a big Hat should be no problem to put into a slip, but other than that it gives you no relative experience for blue water international cruising. So let's start with basics. How many people are we talking about? Any kids along? Is there a reason you're looking to cruise international? You might want to think about staying stateside while you get used to the boat. We're currently cruising the Great Loop.
  4. wagginrights

wagginrights New Member

No no no. Venezuela, Costa Rica, Belize, etc.
  5. wagginrights

wagginrights New Member

Eh I've found boats ready to go, survey needed of course, for 99k-120k. We would probably redo the interior and electronics as needed at that price though.

Yeah it looks as if fuel costs are going to be an enormous obstacle.

Honestly my dad has been talking about island hopping and coastal cruising the Caribbean for thirty years, so that's the end goal. Looks like the longest crossings would be florida to grand Bahama, and Mexico to wherever on the end. Sail is out of the question I think.

The great loop is enticing and may make for a great trial run when we buy, if even just a section.

Thanks for the comment. Feel free to add more!
  6. wagginrights

wagginrights New Member

Also most of the boats I've found are from the 1960s - 70s. Yeah I am a bit concerned about finding good maintenance once you get outside of the Virgin Islands. I know of a great yacht club and boat yard in Trinidad, but that's about it.
  7. wagginrights

wagginrights New Member

Lastly, no kids, 3-5 adults at any given time. Maybe a dog. Sorry so spastic, posting from my phone.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You could go a lot smaller in that case. Smaller= less initial cost, less fuel and less trouble finding dockage. Look towards trawlers, preferably single screw. Tons of choices, but take a look at the 36 Grand Banks as an introduction to the style. You'd be talking 8-12 kts. as opposed to 12-16 kts., but speed won't be a high priority.

P.S. 1960's & 70's is really old for this kind of duty.
  9. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Get one with stabilizers. Especially if you get a Hatteras cruiser or GB.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Absolutely, at least for the Hatt.