Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights Click for MotorCheck

Advice on getting started in yachting industry STCW

Discussion in 'Licensing & Education' started by Ejack227, Jan 15, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Ejack227

Ejack227 New Member

I am 23 years old and have lived in Florida my whole life. I have grown up on the water and boats and have always dreamed of traveling on boats. I am interested in starting a career in the yachting industry and want to start our as a deckhand. I have looked into some programs around south Florida to get my STCW 95. Besides a b1-b2 visa and STCW what other qualification would I need to gain a deckhand position on a yacht. My 10-15 year plan is to eventually become a captain on a yacht. Would love to hear your advice on how to get started in the industry. Thanks in advance.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

If you are born and raised in FL and a US Citizen you will not get a B1 B2 Visa - They are not issued to Citizens you get a Passport instead.
  3. Perlmudder

Perlmudder Member

When I started all I had was my STCW. I took it at MPT in Lauderdale. However, the more skills and certifications you have the better. Advanced first aid, PADI, etc. Also experience on a variety of boats, I had raced sailboats for years, which helped because the boat had two Zumis, and lots of hours driving smaller boats.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

How are you at maintaining a boat, as opposed to driving one around, and asking the yard to do the work on it? I think you'd do well putting in a year or two working in a boat yard. You'll bot only learn how to take care of them, but you'll also make connections. You could pound the docks down in Lauderdale for a deckhand job, but it'll be many years before you're qualified to take command. First learn your craft so you'll be an asset on boats you work.