Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Burger

A/C "High Pressure" fix

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by CTdave, Aug 30, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The Sonic device that was the norm around here was called Barnacle Buster. I have found a few boats with the system. Never found one that worked. I remember similar results from others comments.
    The new Sonic product you listed above may work at a different freq or some other new/different technology but I'm really reserved to think it works.
    I'm not in the tech circles about cathodic protection, nor ever observed any system protecting plumbing from fouling. Can not make any comments on this but would luv to hear some real world experiences.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

I have used the Cathelco stuff on yachts I have sailed on for the last 20 yrs, it works very well.

I was dubious as to the Ultrasonic things uses till a colleague who is Scottish and naturally as tight as a fishes rear end told me he had fitted a system to his own 45ft steel motor yacht. He sent me photos when it was hauled out and went on to say how he had not cleaned the bum for 18 months in the Med where worm like white structure is well known and he had saved enough fuel to pay for it in two summer seasons.

Given how frugal he is and his reputation for being a good engineer I thought I should look into it further. I tried to get iton a new build but the yard cried foul ( no pun intended) as it would need so many units (30) on the vessel some would be mounted in tanks but they were keen and say tey will look at it on future projects.

We are using the Cathelco system in all sea 6 seachests and another thing they sell called ICCP on the hull so the only traditional anodes we have are around the rudders and in the 4 Thruster tubes.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Another issue with A/C water systems is just the fine silt that enters the lines and settles. Over time restrictions occur in the dips or low spots in the hoses in the system. This settled silt turns hard like mortar if not addressed.
    I don't know if the sonic thingies would work up hoses (don't think so).
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Silt is silt, you can't find a system that needs no maintenance but it shouldn't be difficult to reverse the flow for a while to blast the deposits back out of the system you have before they go hard , just a few 3 way valves and a bit more garden hose or what?

Once they have hardened not much will shift non organic material.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Cathelco system in all sea 6 seachests

Ah, In a seachest. I guess that is where it has to be installed to work on incoming water needs.
    Would some seachest dimensions need to be considered or in design to use a Cathelco system?
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Once they have hardened not much will shift non organic material.

It does not take long in this part of the StJohns river.
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Try barnacle buster or phosphoric acid in your pipes if the components will handle it.

Ask Cathelco what their systems will do in your case.

In the vessel I am referring to we probably use one of the strainer baskets as a shark cage if we could find a lid
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Not trying to be a smart asp there, but I would think a treatment area of certain volume per flow would be a design requirement to effectively treat incoming water flow. I'm wondering if a system like this could actually charge or alter sediment entering the trap (seacheast) area.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Or;
    I kind of like these ideas. Like a static trap for air handling filters Or a charging trap that the sediment would not settle. Humm, how to anti charge a hose.
    Such wild ideas in a simple (crappy) mind. :rolleyes:
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Someone gave my dad several cases of brand new barnacle busters about 20 years ago. He couldn't give them away!