Click for Furuno Click for Cross Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning Click for Mag Bay

A/C Equipment

Discussion in 'HVAC' started by dennismc, Feb 8, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Any feedback on Marine Air stuff out of Miami ?

or Mermaid air Ft Myers ?

Just looking for plus or minus on the actual equipment.

Thanks.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Stick with dometic. dometic owns both Marine Air and Cruisair. The other stuff is noisy, doesn't hold up, or just plain junk.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I don't know about that... can't say I find cruisair stuff to be reliable or well built. I had Ocean Breeze remote condenser on my hatt and they were as good as the cruisairs. I eventually redid the whole boat with Flagship Marine chillers and the built quality is better than Cruisair. Everything is solid SS along with simple control system vs expensive proprietary boards.
  4. captholli

captholli Senior Member

+1 on Flagship. Excellent quality and customer service. Now just convince them to Awl Grip their units because they resist doing this for some unknown reason.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have another experience with flagship. The hi pressure sensors had to be manually reset by pressing a push button on the high pressure sensor on the unit, which was a mother to get to and reset all 5 of them. The units were noisier then hell, all 5 of them, because they had no vibration dampening on the units and transmitted the vibration to the part of the boat they were mounted to, (these were package units). They were so noisy it was ridiculous.

Yes, dometics are pricey, but they work, they work well, and they're quiet.
  6. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Yes Dometic units are pretty good but their SMXir thermostats are a joke. Had to replace 3 of them in four years and now have another bad one. They get where you cannot change the temperature up or down.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have not had this issue at all. Try moving the bad unit to a different room/ac unit. It sounds to me like you have something else going on their. Perhaps the circuit board on the unit is going bad and sending the wrong voltage to the thermostat and frying it.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Seems I'm having a fun time with one SMX/IR system. After changing the operator panel a few times now, the system turns it self on without any buttons pushed. It mostly comes on de-humiditfy mode so it's not a big woo.
    I blame it on an on-board ghost having some fun.

I have also found the temp senders that sit in the air return path can cause wired panel problems.
  9. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Yes I can switch the good one around to the bad one and do that to lower/raise the temperature. The bad thermostats will turn the unit on just not adjust the temperature. The thermostat issue has happened on both ac units.