Click for Northern Lights Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn

A $5400 oil change... Really?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Pascal, Sep 7, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

What is the typical charge for an oil and filter changes you guys are paying for Cat 3412/c30/c32... I've always done them myself until this one.

Since getting the boat ready for a first Bahamas trip and because the cat dealer was upgrading aftercoolers to the current version I figured I'd have them do it. While I had a written estimate for the aftercooler work, I only asked verbally about the oil change and was told just under $3000. High but in this case it was worth paying the extra.

Well when I got th final invoice, I went into sticker shock... No details whatsoever on the oil changes but when asked the Cat dealer says he charged us the flat rate for a C32 oil change which is $2700 engine/gear. PER SIDE.

Last oil change I did earlier this year, I bough the supplies from another cat dealer and that was pretty much 10 pails of cat oil at about $110 plus about $400 of filters. I didn't check part numbers but I don't think he 3412E filters are much different from C32... So that s $1500 in parts n supplies plus figure 8 hours of labor (being generous as I ve never spent that long on an oil change) ... $2700 total is a reasonable price... Not per side!

I know BOAT stands for Bend Over And Takeit but this is absolutely ridiculous.
  2. bliss

bliss Senior Member

I am shocked but maybe not surprised. My wife says I am too skeptical and sometimes gets angry with me when I try to get value in return for MY MONEY.. I get it in writing, mostly. When I don't, stuff like this crops up. Thank goodness I enjoy doing a lot of routine stuff myself. May I assume this was a nearby Cat dealer?
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

That's high, but would expect that's what a dealer would charge.....They charge hourly from the time the truck leaves the shop and gets back. $115hr for 2 people, 16 hours guestimate, drive time, the oil, filters.....did they do fuel filters, zincs, (the entire service)or any of that also? 25 gallons a motor is about right. I bet if you argue about the price they'll drop it 10% right off the bat.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

They only had one guy..

I ve done 2 to 3 oil changes a year on nearly identical 3412s for the last 8 years, in a cramped engine room without full head room. Never spent more than 6 hour. And that was with a small slow reverso pump. This boat is a lot easier to work on with more space between engines, full head room, and they used their own fast gear pump.

So a day of labor, oil, filters etc... don't add up to $5400 but what makes it worst is the fiscal to charge actual part and labor
  5. Sea Gull

Sea Gull Member

I just had oil and filter change on my C-18s, plus generator and all pencil zincs. Charge was $4,400 including a couple of hours of travel. Work was done in NY.