Click for JetForums Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Westport

74' Stephens Motoryacht

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Capcam, Dec 20, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capcam

Capcam New Member

Hello All , I'm looking at purchasing a 1983 74' Stephens that's located in Seattle. The boats been sitting for several years with limited maintenance but is in overall pretty good shape. I've spent some time trying to research the boats history and have have come up blank. I thought maybe someone here could possibly shed some light on the boats history, it seems to be a wealth of knowledge. Any info on Stephens Yachts in general would be greatly appreciated, as well. One of my main worries is that it has an external exhaust system that runs from the engine room undereath the hull to a few feet short of the transom and there's really no way to know what the condition of the hull is under that exhaust tube, and it on
    Obviosly hasn't been barrier coated cause there's no access. What do the experts think?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You are going to haul the boat and have it properly surveyed right? Shouldn't be an issue to scope the exhaust with a bore scope type camera and I'm sure you can access the other side from inside the boat, correct?
  3. Capcam

Capcam New Member

Yes having a full survey and mechanical and hauling the boat. The way the exhaust runs under the hull I can probably boroscope a couple feet of it but the tube is 15-20ft long. It's really a pretty bad design from what I can tell, but I haven't seen it out of the water yet... My plan is to try and audioguage some of it from the inside, but getting access to most of it is going to be difficult. I also have to make sure when we haul it that the exhaust runs outboard of the tanks and not under them which would cause a whole other set of problems of course. I'm hoping somebody from the west coast maybe familiar with the boat.
  4. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

That boat has been for sale for ever. I would be shocked if its not a significant project.

History : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephens_Bros._Boat_Builders

It was in San Francisco 2 or 3 years ago, so st least is has traveled some in last couple years. Great lines. Buy cheap and put $350 k into it! Paint alone will be $140k.
  5. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

If you are really serious, the Haggin Museum in Stockton Ca. has all the data , drawings, p.o.s etc on just about all the yachts that Stephens built, there is also a record I believe on line of current owners, not sure how well maintained, I have a 68 ft 1974 Stephens currently listed for sale, have owned her since 1991 and it's time for me to downsize, loved the boat from day one, really well constructed vessel , it's just like a beautiful women, the rigging costs more that the hull. good luck on you search.
  6. pro from dover

pro from dover New Member

I was the deck hand on the Yolanda, a 74 footer in so cal in the early - mid 80's. It was about a year old when I joined it. Very nice all around, build quality and systems layout all to a high standard. Had Cat mains if I remember right.