Click for Perko Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Comfort Click for Nordhavn

72' Hatteras "Time Out" beached off Palm Beach

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by YachtForums, Sep 7, 2016.

1. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Well, as an agency, they don't control it and they are not the ones who will be removing it. Once the citation is issued and possibly an arrest made, that still doesn't get it removed and at some point, either the city or state would have to step in and pay for any removal. It may just be who blinks first as I'm sure they'll both hope the other does. It all comes back to a woefully inadequate situation on derelict boats. This could be months still with both perhaps subject to some form of bid process. I agree pathetic, but not on behalf of the person speaking, on the part of a situation in which no clear responsibility and funding is set up.

Or maybe it will just be removed in small pieces by the Friends of Palm Beach. Look at how much has washed up so far.

http://www.palmbeachdailynews.com/videos/news/friends-of-palm-beach-beach-cleanup/vDrDwQ/

I suspect the city will end up with the responsibility, much like when a homeowner doesn't respond to citations and clean up their property. Unfortunately, any salvage value the boat might have had is long gone now.

I'm surprised no reporter at his doorstep trying to interview him, although he probably isn't home, probably in a car or boat out driving around drunk.
  2. olderboater

Agree to remove it and you can probably grab all you want in a few days.

You say it "should have been removed by now" but no one has had that authority as it didn't impose an immediate danger, once the fuel was removed, so has to go through derelict boat processes. Now, the CG had the authority to do whatever necessary to remove any immediate danger. They will also likely be the ones to absorb all the salvage expenses incurred in the initial effort.

This all comes back to the need for far better laws and funding related to derelict boats. If it had been an auto abandoned at the side of the road, it would have been towed immediately. However, much cheaper to tow a car and that cost can be made up just in selling the metal.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Therein lies the rub. How expensive it is to deal with derelict boats. With a car, you're right the scrap cost usually exceeds the towing cost so the towing company is made whole.

With boats, usually it is WAY more expensive to tow and dispose of the derelict boat than it is worth in salvage parts. Now, perhaps if the salver was allowed to tow it that morning, it would have been worth enough in resale to cover all costs, but not now.
  4. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Not with current scrap prices. But hundreds are easier to recoup from the owner than millions.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

That's what I've been gripping about.
    Seems it's not like the old days (per above comments).

It's still going to be a pollution hazard if its dumpster'ed out.
    It should have been bagged & dragged that same day.
  6. olderboater

I think he promised he'd take care of it, if I recall correctly. Of course, they didn't believe he would, but they had to give him the time. The guys on the beach are really doing a great job gathering all the trash washing to shore from it.
  7. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

I see one big difference in the yacht being repaired vs. yacht on the beach photos, the one being repaired had a pair of docking lights. Beached Hatt does not.
    Either way, it's a crying shame that it wasn't easily refloated within 24 hrs.
    Stupid, just stupid!
  8. olderboater

They have started soliciting bids for removal of the boat. The state will pay 75% of the cost with grant money set up for this purpose. It looks like Palm Beach will pay the remainder. They don't say how long to get the bids and decide. The town manager estimated the cost for removal at $150,000. He also noted that it may well be too late to remove it by water and they may have to remove it by land.

Florida Fish and Wildlife has indicated additional criminal charges and/or civil action may be filed against the owner.

http://www.palmbeachdailynews.com/n...to-pay-for-part-of-yacht-removal-state/nsbJS/
  9. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

What I do not quite understand is if the boat was headed into the inlet how did she end up on the beach with her bow pointed East instead of West?
  10. olderboater

Washed ashore is the terminology I've seen used. Perhaps grounded, then floated or who knows. By now, of course, it's been turned around and flipped and torn apart. My understanding is that the boat was floating when first spotted, not hard aground.

As in anything involving Baker, I believe there's far more to the story than we know at this point.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

A lot of times if the boat is grounded, but lightly grounded, the wind, waves or current will have their way with the boat and still be able to spin it around when the tide comes up or whichever.... then it just went further aground at high tide, most likely.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Oh give me a break. A salvor would have made this same money + the first day floating her out.
    Please review post 61 thru 66.
    Now it's a disposal and nobody wants the regulations and liability now.
    $200,00.oo is not going to cover the disposal of this POS.
    It's going to be there for a while longer.

SFB's.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I think you could easily get it done for that price. ONLY reason being is the boat is right at the tide line on the beach. So you could get a large excavator/backhoe and a crane on tracks down there on the beach and probably nab it all out of the water in pieces like they did with that 48' Searay SB in Eleuthera some years back......then just have to get it to a barge, or semi's.
  14. olderboater

And like the state of Washington does regularly.
  15. olderboater

I've reviewed all the posts but a salvor couldn't claim it. There is no Florida law allowing such and the boat was not deemed abandoned anyway until this past Sunday. As long as the owner is identified and claiming arrangements are being made, then it's not open for a salvor.

Give me a tracked backhoe and a dumpster and that boat can be taken care of quickly. I've watched them do far more formidable boats in Westport, WA using that method.
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Which leads me to ask this question. What do you do if you're hard aground. I've never experienced this myself. But all of the normal tow companies require you to sign a salvor agreement with them, usually giving them a percentage of the boats value, or a claim, etc. What is the proper way to handle say a yacht that is hard aground, but could be pulled off with say 1-2 tow boats?
  17. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

That's really a question for the insurance company, but Google "BIMCO Tow Contract"
  18. olderboater

You call your insurance company and they arrange the tow. Not your tow membership, your boat insurance. But the tow is covered only through your boat insurance and it's coverage, not tow membership.
  19. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

When a representative is on board or some one to sign. This vessel was and has been abandoned.
    Who ever pumped the fuel off was brilliant, Free fuel before anybody caught on or had to leave a name..Bless them..

One night (2010) I pulled up a new fancy center console on the Bear cut bar. The owner was on the CG rescue boat yelling at me to leave it alone.
    He thought the CG boat was going to rescue his new boat, LOL...
    It was towed off and pumped out rite past him. Our new boat.
    The insurance company did buy it back from us pending any pollution claims from the state (none).
  20. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The second an excavator or front end loader crashes this hull, black water, grey water, fuel, oil, loose items, Yada, yada are going to come pouring out.
    Anybody really think a salvage company wants to deal with this old mess and once they touch it, are responsible,,, for $200,000.oo income?
    Rite..