Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for Northern Lights

66' Vicem w/o tower

Discussion in 'Vicem Yacht' started by GerryKey, Apr 27, 2009.

1. GerryKey

GerryKey New Member

I am getting ready to buy a boat for cruising and fishing in the Central America regions. I am not an experienced offshore fisherman and plan to just enjoy my retirement. I need opinions on the Vicem and I do not want a tower because of the added height. Any suggestions and opinions welcome, please.
  2. 84far

84far Senior Member

hi GerryKey

just been reading a bit on the Vicem 63. i think they are a great looking SF, and they seem to be what your looking for. they arnt fully focus on gamefishing, they can still be used (by what i was reading) as a family boat, eg bosch grill and isotherm fridge in the cockpit.
    a few itches with the boat were - stern cleats on the cockpit floor and not up under the gunwhale - getting to the filters etc in the engine room (basically layout) - and she came in at 80,000lb not the 73,000 that was the displacement goal, so she lost a bit of speed.
    the interior just looks fantastic with the mahogany, imo. hopefully there's a few captains on here that will say yay or nay with the ride.

hope ive been bit of a help.

far
  3. nilo

nilo Senior Member

vicem boats

Hi Gerry,

I am a Vicem owner and a close friend of the builder himself. So, let me give you my biased opinion:). By the way I own 2 more boats aside Vicem (A Moonen and an X-yachts), so I hope you take my advice not extremely biased.

I own my boat for the last 8 years and she is still going strong and without any major glitches. I use this boat as a day cruiser. I was one of the first owners who have build with Vicem and I am proud to state that I have contributed some what to their development in a positive way in technical aspects. I can say that since that time they have further improved and now the boats are even better.

You can see some of the picture of the boat in the following thread;

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/g...er-boats-hinckley-san-juan-etc.html?highlight

If you have any specific questions, I will be pleased to reply.
  4. GerryKey

GerryKey New Member

Nilo & 84far

Thanks for the replies. I hope to be ready by September to move ahead. I started out looking at full disp. trawlers, then semi, and think I have settled on the 66 Vicem SP. Would really like to hang out in Rio Dulce area (if the ragboaters will allow it), do some cruising and fishing from there.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Sounds great. also don't forget to visit Belize (Blue hole, Glover's Reef, Turneffe Island, Lighthouse Reef and others) the water and islands are beautiful as is the diving. Roatan Honduras is also very nice and another short hop from there and the Rio Dulce is beautiful, but be careful when going up and down the river that you don't get too close or the monkeys will board your boat via the outriggers from the cliffs and steal something like binoculars and take off with them as fast as they took them.

I have no experience with Vicems, but do hear good things about them and they have a very nice interior and look to be well built. One thing I would look for in a Vicem, are CAT engines. You have a good CAT dealer network in Central America also detroit diesel, but no Man dealers for the most part.