Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Westport

65 Foot Inace Buccaneer?

Discussion in 'Inace Yacht' started by Tom3215, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Tom3215

Tom3215 Guest

I am just wondering what people think about the 65 foot Aluminum Inace Buccaneer. Twin cats, 4000 gallons of fuel, 5.6 feet of draft. To me is seems like the perfect Bahama boat and blue water enough to take you through the canal in safety. My only thought was did this boat seem to high for the draft ??

Perhaps Judy W. and some of the other trawler experts will have some appreaciated guideance.
    Thanks

tom3215
  2. vlafrank

vlafrank Senior Member

And further to Tom's question...............

does anyone have any qualms about a blue water trawler being made out of aluminum? I thought trawlers were supposed to be built "heavy" to keep the weight down low and help with ballasting. All input appreciated.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I wouldn't want any boat made out of aluminum these days. Fiberglass or steel depending on the application. Aluminum is too maintanence costly IMO and offers no benefits over fiberglass other than being able to change the design from boat to boat in the build process.
  4. This trawler is aluminum because Inace does many builds in aluminum such as yachts, trawlers, patrol boats and other commercial work boats. I have been on board a few different boats from this builder and have seen different levels of finish according to what the buyer wanted to pay for, a more commercial finish or more yacht style finish. Yes aluminum is more expensive to maintain but it is less expensive to build a one off design than fiberglass.
    I can not comment on the height not having been to sea on this boat, for coastal cruising and the Bahamas just waiting for good weather is more important, we see many of these these trawlers getting higher and higher, even the newer Nordhavns.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

6. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Inace

IMHO and experience (18 years), aluminum is way more superior to F/G, both for strength, , lack of leaks and longevity, underwater gear support is actually part of the hull structure and not bolted on . To reduce cosmetic maintenance on an aluminum Yacht one must give up a lot of teak trim and know how to fasten and isolate dissimilar materials, otherwise, common sense and good research on electrical systems is mandatory.
    To each his own....
  7. johndecaro

johndecaro Guest

Inace 65 Bucaneer

I have been on the 60 and 65' designs at sea during seatrials and they are very solid boats. They have all run from Brazil to Florida on their own bottom and one of them has do a transatlantic crossing.
  8. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Are we suppose to be impressed that these boats, specifically marketed as explorer/expedition vessels, have run on their own bottoms from Brazil to Florida? Name me one custom brand that couldn't! Heck, a production based Clorox bottle laden with fuel bladders could make the trek, but chances are it wouldn't be a rusty bucket by the time it reached its first waypoint. Sure, the Inace would make it. The real question is... would the owner survive the chest pains during the crossing as he observed the lack of fit & finish that Inace is famed for?

Sorry John, but on YF we trust in the opinions and expertise of actual users such as owners, captains, engineers, etc... NOT brokers representing a brand! If you have something to contribute, unrelated to your own bottom line, then your participation is welcome. Short of that, we don't take kindly to diluting the collective knowledge base with vested interests.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I saw a 85' ish Inace crossing the gulfstream to Bimini with 6' on the beam, the ride was downright SCARY how much it heeled on it's side and wallowed around and we were in a 56' Princess and not worried in the least......
    clerdi likes this.
  10. wafiwacker

wafiwacker Guest

Impressed

Having been Captain of two Inace Yachts for in excess of 75k miles, I am impressed with their performance. Both were also MCA (Cayman Islands) and ABS unlimited classed.
    Having done 4 Atlantic crossings on them as Captain and engineer, I can profess to there durability and seakeeping. I have taken them as far north as Maine and as far south as Brazil and many off the beaten path locations where there are no chandleries or technicians nearby. One of the beauties of a 'keep it simple' design, is that you can change in and change out parts with ease. With that being said on both yachts, I had revolutionary stabilization systems and transmissions which I produced logs for and provided feedback to the manufacturers.
    One was also a busy charter yacht where reliability was paramount with back to back Mediterranean / Caribbean seasons. We were one of the busiest charter yachts in the Med for 2008 with repeat clientele in the caribbean. One of the reasons why was the interior design and layout. Huge volume.
    As far as fit and finish, one of the Inace's I was in command of, not only won awards from the Super Yacht association in 2005 as one of the top 5 motor yachts built in the world that year, but won awards from Awl grip for the paint finish. It was used in Awl Grip's advertising campaign that year.
    Steel yachts feel incredible in a big sea. I currently captain a Westport 130 and it is a great vessel. However it is noisy with hull slap at anchor and I certainly don't feel as confident in it from a structural standpoint compared to a steel vessel. But that is comparing apples to oranges (a bit like comparing a plastic bottle to a piece of steel). Each material has it's advantages. I can do 23knots in a Westport 130 thanks to it's construction methods and design. However, give me a choice of a 95' Inace or a Westport 130 to go exploring in, I will pick the Inace every time. I have also done the Pacific on a 103' Cheoy Lee Motor Yacht (GRP) and believe me when I tell you I wouldn't really want to do that again.
    Each construction material has it's advantages and disadvantages. From an expedition standpoint, personally I prefer steel. I have even in command of vessels of all construction methods (even concrete) and steel is my favorite. From it's strength, sound insulation and 'feel' in a large open ocean sea to it's ease of finding someone with a welder if it was necessary in the middle of nowhere.
    Aluminum is a great material as well. But it is easier to find a steel welder than an aluminum welder or a mix of west system in a lot of places if something jumped in front of your vessel at night while underway.
  11. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Well Wafiwacker, your opinion would have more weight than a steel hull if it were not for your connection to Decaro and his brokerage company...

Admin Edit: Links Removed

In your attempt to sway perception, you have only succeeded in raising doubt. I find it quite concerning when people conduct themselves in a clandestine nature, failing to have foresight of the potential repercussions in a public venue.

You were warned multiple times during the registration process NOT to engage in 3rd party promotion, therefore your memberships are being removed and your domain extension banned.

Truly pathetic.
  12. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Good one Carl.

It seemed too good to be true that a first time poster would sing the praises of something you had just asked a poster to refrain from without some serious coaching.

Keep the banned button functioning.
    cdg likes this.
  13. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

One of these might be an easy fix.

BANNED.jpg