Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for Westport Click for Delta Click for Comfort

63' Bertram Sinking

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by OrthoKevin, Jan 21, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. OrthoKevin

OrthoKevin Member

I have just spent many hours of reading the forum discussion on the 63' Bertram that went down years ago. Fascinating read on so many levels but at the end it had me, as Paul Harvey would say, looking for the rest of the story. Anybody know if the cause of the sinking was ever resolved?

Thanks!

KB
  2. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That's a very long article which draws no difinative conclusion, just like the official investigations. It also seems to be a bit of a hatchet job on the captain. Let me state up front that (based on local reputation) I have no particular respect for this captain, but the attack on his choice of mates is completely unjustified. Who does the author think will pay for an engineer to be on board during these type transports? I pay my mates $100-$150 a day, but it's nearly impossible to find someone I'd trust for that money. Anybody trustworthy has a full-time job and isn't available. So I'll often hire a second captain, but the extra money comes out of my pocket. Most often the best help to be found is a friend (or girlfriend) who knows a bit about boating and is trustworthy.

I believe that the bottom line is that there was a settlement between the owner, the insurance company, Bertram and MarineMax. Nobody admitted fault or was judged to be a fault to the best of my knowledge. Last I heard the captain was a marina worker out east.
  4. dsharp

dsharp Senior Member

5. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

That link is to Rick Eyerdam's blog who was banned from YachtForums during the sinking saga. Here's a link to my post after discovering who Eyerdam was and his attempt to make a name for himself with some form of investigative discovery. He couldn't get any magazines to publish it, so he created a blog...

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/93755-post880.html

His findings are nothing more than the conjecture that came from our discussions at that time. Over one-thousand posts in this thread...

The Sinking of the Bertram 63' Absolutely
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Here it is some 4 years later. Anybody know if the dust has settled on this yet? The cause determined? Who if anyone found liable? Milius' slander suit?
  8. justcurious

justcurious New Member

I thought I posted a video from 2013 of the wreck in this thread, but now I don't see it. Either way here it is (again?).
  9. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

The video is on YF's server so if you posted an external link then it was removed. The link is also in this thread.

Admin Edit, not the same video. My bad.