Click for Furuno Click for JetForums Click for Glendinning Click for Cross Click for Northern Lights

53' or 52' Hatteras sport fish for charter

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by Seafarer1, Feb 19, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Seafarer1

Seafarer1 New Member

I am looking at two different Hatteras Sport fishing vessels to possibly put into a charter sport fishing company.
    I'm looking at a 1979 53' Hatteras with tower.
    She has rebuilt 12/71 TI with approx. 500 hrs each
    What type of fuel burn do you think she would get at slow trolling and fast trolling speeds, as well as cruise speeds.

The other vessel is a 1989 52' Hatteras Sport fish with tower.
    She has 8V92 TA 735HP with approx 1000 hrs each.
    I would like to hear your thoughts on which vessel may be the better of the two, taking into consideration the age of the vessel, fuel burn at different RPM's, the type of engines, HP of engines.
    Longevity of the engines, costs of the maintenance of each engine.
    Cost of a full rebuild of each engine.
    Thank you.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I'm no engineer, but your maintenance and rebuild costs will be much higher with the 1271's. You're basically dealing with (2) 671's bolted together. We have the 8/92TI's in the Hatt I run, and they burn 13 gph at hull speed, about 33 gph at cruise and 72 gph WOT.
    Either one will be a slow boat compared to the fleet that's out there today though, and costly. For charter I'd be much more inclined to go with a newer Cabo or such today.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

12v71TI boat will burn 12 gph at 1000 rpms, slow troll 5-6gph (both), at cruise speed 80GPH.

8v92TA boat will burn about 10gph at 1000rpms (fast troll), 5-6 slow troll, at cruise speed 65gph. The 8v92TA's at 735hp have very large injectors and will run a lot sootier slow trolling and won't like it.....as they can't meter the fuel very well shortening their life.

I'd say 2600-3000 hours out of the 8v92's, and 6,000 hours life out of the 12v71TI's. Maintanence costs about the same. The 92's are smaller but a little more maintanence involved (changing coolant every 2 years, etc.) Full rebuild about the same due to the 92's requiring more when rebuilding (such as cleaning aftercoolers etc), a DD dealer would be able to better tell you but guessing $40k a motor.

The 52' is a bit more modern looking and hull design, 52's mostly came with 12v71's also. The 52' with tower you're looking at isn't fighting lady yellow with an emerald green carpet in the interior is it?

I agree with the Cabo sentiment. A 45' express is a GREAT charter fishing platform and they came out in 1996.
  4. Seafarer1

Seafarer1 New Member

Thanks for your insight to NYCAP and CAPT J. I have been reading some of your posts lately,and I was hoping you fellas would chime in.
    Thanks again.
    The 52' is not the one you referred to.
  5. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

The fuel consumption I get from 12v71n's is approximately as per CaptJ's post.
    "12v71TI boat will burn 12 gph at 1000 rpms, slow troll 5-6gph (both), at cruise speed 80GPH."
    That includes running with a 20kva Onan Generator.
    The 53 is more of a semi-displacement and very comfortable in most conditions you might find yourself fishing in.