Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Perko Click for Cross Click for Westport

53 Navigator rocks with auto pilot on

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Worthyvess, Apr 19, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Worthyvess

Worthyvess Member

South shore long island and fort lauderdale
    Does anyone know why our 53' Navigator would rock in calm water when we put the autopilot on? Thanks for any input!
  2. Iknownothing

Iknownothing Member

What brand autopilot? Sounds like the rudder sensitivity is set too high.
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Regardless of brand, it sounds like a sensitivity issue and you just need to adjust the autopilot.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

This. You can usually adjust the sensitivity ( could also be called response) in the menu and should adjust it from time to time for various sea states/conditions.
  5. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

You guys are good!
    I'd have suspected the bilge rats endemic to that particular autopilot model scurrying back and forth between the sensor and the pump as the cause of the rocking.
  6. Worthyvess

Worthyvess Member

I agree - they seem to know everything! Thanks for all the replies. Will now investigate settings.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

What brand autopilot do you have? If simrad, put it in auto mode (can be at the dock), then hit the NAV/setup button twice (in rapid succession) you now will go to a menu use the right arrow to scroll down and the knob the adjust, when done just hit auto again..... 2 clicks (one notch on the screen) left will probably fix the issue.....although I adjust the settings all the time on boats I run.....if in the ICW I turn it up.....if in the ocean turn it down.......also if you hit auto twice in rapid succession the autopilot will go in Hi mode and respond faster, if you back the response off this comes in handy as well.
  8. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Find a manual and read it, whatever brand it is. You may find some other very useful features you aren't aware it has.
  9. Worthyvess

Worthyvess Member

I forgot to answer what brand it is - Raymarine. You guys have given us so much help! I think my husband will work on this today - I'll let you know how he does!
  10. Worthyvess

Worthyvess Member

You guys have all the answers and I just got a trophy! Doesn't seem right somehow lol!
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

On those Raymarine calls it response, and you just go through the menu button till response pops up and then use the down arrow to adjust it once the screen reads "response and a #". You may have to be in autopilot mode to do this
  12. Worthyvess

Worthyvess Member

Thanks Cap J. He did find the response adjustment. Can't check if that will do the trick until the exhaust is fixed and he can take it out.