Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for JetForums Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service

52' Californian

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by islandhopper6, Dec 9, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. islandhopper6

islandhopper6 New Member

Hey guys, looked around the site looking for some answers about a couple yachts I am currently looking at, didn't see any threads? I am looking at a 1985 52' Californian that looks good, running Detroit's, and an 1982, 51' Sea Ranger, running Volvo's. any info on capability, comfort on the ocean? Just all around quality? any info is greatly appreciated. I am in Oahu Hi. Looking for a live aboard and island hopper. thanks in advance.
  2. RER

RER Senior Member

Generally speaking the Sea Ranger is a Taiwan boat that is under powered and has a rolly ride. The Californian is USA built with adequate horsepower and a decent ride. In either case your focus should be on condition of fuel tanks, running gear, mechanical and electrical systems. Beware of deferred maintenance. The hulls are solid glass, unless damaged there should be no inherent issues except blisters. House and decks are another story. Carefully check the decks for soft spots and the house for dry rot in the wood core especially around windows. All things being equal I would go with the Californian.
  3. islandhopper6

islandhopper6 New Member

Thanks, I have an appointment with the owner tomorrow so I can get a good look around, am leaning towards the Californian, just the fit and finish looks nice. I will check all the key points. I am used to my smaller boats, easy to find the hidden bad spots. This size will take some investigation.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Covington/Detroit powered many a Californian. The Detroit stuff is still available but the after market Covington parts are not.
    There are work a rounds to this. Have your engine surveyor keep an extra eye towards this during the pre-purchase routines.
    Examples are; some of the sea water tubes were steel vs copper, to / from the heat ex-changer and in the closed cooling tubes and lines.
  5. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

I am not so sure about the Covington / Californian connection?
    Covington out of NC shipping DD to a boat builder in California? Wouldn't that be Valley DD sales territory or some other West Coast DD Distributor?
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Convington 671TIBs are in the Californian we maintain.
    The factory blocks were ordered and sent to Convington for their final marinizing / packaging. Then sent to the ships plant.
    The better DD shops can still use the factory DD serial number from the block, tell you when it was mfg'd, what was ordered (w/wo exhaust manifold), rotation, starter & blower config and who it was delivered-sold to.
  7. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The ship we manage has no lower station. U shape dinette stb of the galley in it's place..
    Same bridge . Alloy arch.
    No cockpit. Large after master, 3 heads. Mid cabin stb before master with head port across hall way.
    Laundry machines in second closet in this mid cabin.
    Full size fridge where your laundry machine is. Near same galley after that.
    Same skinny ass side doors.
    20KW Kohler ahead of the stb main (under the U dinette). 4 split A/C units.
    3 fuel tanks, one under the aft master bed with the potable water tank. #2&3 in the ER, out side of the mains. Not sure of tankage.
    Those are not 3208s in the pictures.

Ours may be on the market soon in Jax FL.
  9. RER

RER Senior Member

LOL... It really is ridiculous. I never understood how that didn't figure that out at some point considering they built a TON of them ranging in length from 45' to 55' ...basically the same boat just stretched, with and without a cockpit.

Most were built using the Californian/Wellcraft/Carver hull. A few were built on the old trawler hull as is this one in HI. Regardless of that skinny side deck access they sold the bejeezus out of them and even though they're getting older they remain popular on the brokerage market.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

There are a few of them out here in our area. Sadly, not been on any of them to compare.
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I never cared for that layout with steps everywhere...especially from the aft deck to the saloon. I understand that you don't have much choice around 40' but once you get to 50' why not get a flush deck? Chris, hatteras etc. having the side decks, saloon, lower helm and aft deck on one level is such a better layout. And a knee saver :)
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I ran a 45' with a cockpit many years ago from Fort Lauderdale to Louissiana. It was ok, cruised at 13.5 knots with 6-53's in it. The engine room was crawl through and made it a royal pain in the ass to do anything in there. I'd rather have a 53' Hatteras over a 50' Californian.....