Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for Burger Click for Perko Click for Walker

50SS

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by ewibberley, Dec 6, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. ewibberley

ewibberley New Member

Does anyone on here own or have experience with the 50ss? I am thinking about a purchase of a 2005 with Series 60s. I hear it is a much better ride than the 48 or 52 but I would like to hear other opinions. I currently have a 48 that I have had for over 20 years.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I really like the engine. Bout the only thing from MTU (Ole Detroit) and the Series 70s I can say nice things about.
  3. Tashmoo

Tashmoo New Member

I'm sure you know that any comparison of your 48 depends hugely on the vintage: pre or post 1995. The 2nd generation 48SS (1995 and newer with 12 degree deadrise and 16' beam) is a helluva good riding hull, but the 50 blows it away -- increased beam by +9", added +3" transom deadrise, moved fuel tanks from saddles to in line and increased displacement +6k pounds. I have 2 friends that have 50SS with 825 Series 60s. One had an older 56 before and the other had a newer hull design 48. Both are long time sportfish owners, very knowledgeable guys and love their 50SS, for what it's worth.