Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for Westport

50' yacht for long range cruising

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by a2b, Aug 5, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. a2b

a2b New Member

okay i posted a thread last week but it never showed up. i dont know if it was deleted because i broke a rule or not.

so i will try again.

my wife and i are looking to semi retire in two years. we want to a buy a semi long range cruiser (i think). we do not want to spend too many days at sea. we are more into getting somewhere fast. we dont plan to cross the oceans but if we could cross the atlantic that would nice too. also it would be nice to be able to go up the mississippi and ohio. so something not too big? i am guess that 50' isnt too big? i am not sure.

i was thinking like a 50' semi displacement. sea ray sundancer? idk.

i have been sailing boats and motor boats sub 30' boats for 20 years on lakes. i have no off shore experience. i don't pretend to know what i am doing. i am looking to get educated in the next two years before i buy the boat.

any tips or ideas on boats and things to consider are appreciated. thank you.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You're very lost. How far do you mean by long range? How fast do you mean by getting there fast? You'd be much better off going down the Mississippi. You're not crossing the Atlantic in a 50' Searay, not even close.
  3. a2b

a2b New Member

long range = enough to travel from CA to NY through the canal.

fast = 30 knots.

i don't know what is reasonable and what isn't. i am just saying we would prefer to get there fast and wait out storms and only sail in good weather, so i don't know if full displacement is necessary for us. but like i said, i don't pretend to know what i am doing so any tips to point me in the right direction are appreciated.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Charter a few different styles to get an idea of which style does what.

Whilst it is not normal practice nor advised by anyone who is sane it is quite possible to cross the Atlantic in a 50 Searay with the correct preparation, support and a big helping of luck.
  5. bernd1972

bernd1972 Senior Member

I´d know a boat design that could meet your fantasy, including maximum speed and transatlantic range at 9 kts with maximum independance and all liveaboard comfort yoou could want, but that´s about 80ft. (rather small and narrow for that length) and would cost quite some more than a preowned SeaRay. However, it seems that you have no real picture of your requirements yet. But you have a realistic approach asking for advice and knowing where to see your limits starting with the fact that just like you generally very few motorboaters would go transatlantic for fun.
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

I have enjoyed everyone I have done so far
  7. bernd1972

bernd1972 Senior Member

Well, old salt, but you belong to a special breed... :D
  8. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Coastal "long range" is usually a series of short range trips... so the requirement can be bounded by features like having enough fuel and water on board to make stops convenient -- rather than critical. Doesn't take a huge boat. Transatlantic "long range" is a whole 'nother ball game... so you should decide up front if that's really your requirement. If it is, that puts your targets in a different category, and "fast" won't enter into it. There are options: take a cruise ship occasionally (leave your own boat at home), ship your boat on a carrier, fly to wherever and buy a boat there, etc.

"Fast" in boating terms can be all over the map. Some folks thing 10 knots is fast, compared to sail. Others think 50 knots is fast. Sustained "fast" is also different from "bursts of fast" and the latter is often thought to be more useful for dealing with occasional weather issue (can't outrun every storm you come across)... balanced against the amount of fuel "fast" can cost. Here's one where you might think about budget: how much fuel (per day, per month, per year, whatever) can you afford? Hint: Our engines at low RPMs and 7 knots use roughly 1 gallon per hour (GPH) each; the same engines are cruise RPMs and about 19 knots use somewhere between 13-18 GPH -- each. IOW, "fast" has a direct and immediate bearing on your operating expenses. (Your research can usually discover what engines will burn what fuel at what RPMs.)

Other features you should define in advance are about sleeping requirements (how many berths?), cooking requirements, lounging requirements... and also about who will do your maintenance (your, or your wallet?), a given candidate boat's access to stuff that daily/often/sometimes needs service, and so forth/

Digest that for a bit, then pipe up with additional questions.

-Chris
  9. JWY

JWY Senior Member

All good input so far. Most people that think they might like to make an ocean crossing usually don't. Crossing an ocean is usually a dedicated goal, an extension of many years of cruising, or an opportunity that comes up. For not wanting to spend too many days at sea, you sound like a candidate in the former group. An ocean crossing vessel is not an "incidental" side benefit on the list of attributes for the type of cruising you plan to do. I would recommend buying a boat for your relatively short term needs. If by chance that pull to cross an ocean arises or lingers, then get the appropriate boat capable of doing so.

Judy
  10. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

You lost me a bit there. The Atlantic is an ocean the last time I looked.

What kind of writing do you do?
  11. a2b

a2b New Member

You are correct. Haha

Thank you for the input. I hear you about operation cost. I am well aware of fuel cost and am considering that. I have been looking at motorsail boats with the idea of sailing to save some fuel.

In my first post I just gave some general ideas about what I wanted but I am well aware that I don't know what I want and like, "going fast" was just an idea and one I am not glued to. (My wife wants a "fast" boat to run away from other boats if need be, lol)

now that I know crossing the Atlantic is not a simple matter, I will scratch that off the list.

What about yacthing from west coast to east coast through the canal? Does this also require an 80' boat and years of planning like the Atlantic?

I have been looking into charters. I am trying to get educated on what types of boats are out there so I charter a boat for a specific reason and know what to look for.

Thanks again for the input.
  12. bernd1972

bernd1972 Senior Member

Cruising inland waterways is probably demanding in other aspects (locks, avoiding runing aground and wasting some props per season,...) but then it´s quite rewarding with lots of interesing places to see. And considering that you have plenty of access to normal supplies (supermarkets and stores everywhere, even in the smalles town) there shouldn´t be big problems. But having some bicicles aboard (foldable montain bikes for example) would be a nice thing to explore towns and areas nearby.
    It all depends on what you want, what you need and what you´re interested in.
    Transatlantic crossings are not a matter of years of planning like a polar expedition. But you should get adequate experience, a suiteable boat and reasonable preparation is needed.
  13. a2b

a2b New Member

I am familiar with the "what you want and need" aspect of an interest. I have been down this road in other hobbies. Everyone is always looking for a all-in-one type unit and usually that just isn't practical. You have to pick your poison. Finding out what I want is the first priority. I have homes and family on both coast. We would love to see the the Bahamas etc... So I would put those interest top on my priority list when deciding what kind of boat I need for that job.

In sailing, thousands cross the Atlantic every year in 50' boats. That's why I was imagining a 50' motor yacht being able to make the trip. So what exactly are the types of things you want in a motor boat that would make it realistic in crossing the Atlantic that say a 50' sea Ray, for example, doesn't have?

Btw I am really digging these motorsails the more I look at them. I am a sailor at heart. I used to raced sailboats every weekend as a kid through high school. I miss those days.
  14. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Step 1-Read. Read. Read. Find books where people talk about their loop trips, books about cruising on the west coast, about cruising the east coast, going through the Panama Canal. Immerse yourself. This is like learning a new language. Use google and find websites talking about the loop.

Step 2-Read. Read. Reat. About boats. Go to builder's sites. Got to listings of boats for sale and peruse in various size ranges.

Step 3-Educate and Experience. Charter with a captain willing to teach while with you. Try different type boats. You ask about 50' and 80'. Charter each so you know the difference. Meanwhile take some boating/captain classes to learn about things you'll need to know such as navigation.

Step 4-Now put together a list of requirements. Not all over the place but detailing what is important. What are the must haves vs. the want to haves.

Step 5-Evaluate boats, both online and in person but always against the list of requirements you developed in Step 4.

We can't tell you what boat because we don't truly understand your needs or desires. Why? Because you don't yet.

I'm trying to be honest and help you establish a workable plan, one far better than asking "What boat should I buy?" I see above "No Oceans" and "Atlantic". I see 50' and 80'. I see loop which immediately has the restrictions Capt J mentioned and does eliminate 80'. I see go "up the Mississippi" and "Ohio". To cruise them is nice, but very few pleasure boaters choose to start up the Mississippi from it's mouth. Current, range are all issues. Oh and 50', two people can handle, most 80's you'd need a crew or at least one crew person. Right now, with your limited experience, you could probably never insure an 80' without hiring a captain to operate it. You say fast and you talk displacement. Then you call a Sundancer semi-displacement. Is it? Do you have a good understanding of the different definitions? Actually Sundancer's are planing. And you talk 30 knots, then displacement, which are totally opposite ends of the spectrum.

You have things to work through together with your wife. Right now if you bought any boat you'd have disappointment because one or both of you would expect something from it, that it doesn't provide. Run away from other boats? The SF's and CC's will zoom right past you. But that's an item of discussion. Do you like solitude or amenities? Anchoring or Marina's? Day cruises or days at sea? Day only or day and night? The information gathering starts now. I understand you came here to start it, but the best thing we can do is give you guidance of how to gather it. Use your kindle or tablet or whatever and download all the cruising books you can find. Discuss them. Read the story of someone looping and talk about the aspects you would have enjoyed or wouldn't. What about their speed?

Right now you'd need at least 5 boats to fill your needs. Only a fool and his fool wife would own that many.....but other than fools like us...I picture you wanting one to cruise on. How much time will you have to spend on it. Assuming you will write from it, then a "home office" environment may be important, at least good communication.

What's the longest the two of you have been away from "civilization" and did you enjoy it? How mechanical are you? Will you DIY or will you have others do all the maintenance? What's the smallest, most confined space the two of you have shared and how was it?

You never did answer what kind of writing you do. Looks like you intend to be the next e. e. cummings.

As a writer, I'd challenge you to use those skills. First, research as all writers do. Then write about what you imagine yourselves doing. What others dream of and you dream of may be quite different. Dream of the loop, talk about your year or two years doing it. Do the two of you enjoy Los Angeles or dream of the opposite? Is Catalina your dream cruise destination or is it way too congested? If you're out on a boat, what will you miss most?

Develop the narrative of your perfect first two or first five years with your boat.
  15. a2b

a2b New Member

Exactly why I set aside two years to get educated. Like I said in my first post many times, I know that I don't know what I want, I just through out some thoughts and ideas looking for some direction. I said I wasn't married to anything. I enjoy reading the threads here. Everyone is nice and helpful. Boating is a fun topic and I thought it would be fun to talk about boats with the members of this board. You seem annoyed by me asking for direction and I understand. Newbies are so ignorant. Your right, a workable plan is what I am really after. Thanks for outlining a good strategy. I am going to look into all those things you mentioned.
  16. bernd1972

bernd1972 Senior Member

Haha, don´t worry. Nobody is annoyed here by serious interest and seeking advice is welcome here. Perhaps there are one or two slightly sarcastic comments because we all have seen fellows with high flying plans or unrealistic fantasies that were buried fast without further notice. But if you´re seriously here for getting help to figure out what you really want you´re very welcome and you´ll certainly get all the support you need. After all we all startet as noobs with many questions one or the other way.
    Try to get used to us, most people here are really pleasant. But sometimes it´s a bit of self-defense to tell someone straight forward that he still needs to do some homework for knowing what he wants. That´s not ment to be harsh in any way and everyone who doesn´t run away after these inviting comments will get all the help he expects and more.
    Try to find your way through the decisions to be made step by step. Nobody can tell you what boat you´ll want or need. Who needs a boat?!? It´s about making dreams come true. Do I know what you´re dreaming of? But we´re all open to help you asking yourself the right questions.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  17. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

All I can tell you, mate, it is a process and a lifestyle and a great adventure. I imagine most of us started with windsurftes like me or sailing skiffs like you and we go from there.

Go back to your roots. Get a Catatlina 22 and start sailing with your wife. She may be surprised at how going to windward feels "fast". I know gentlemen sail downwind but I prefer to trim to windward for some reason.

Next have her listen to Crosby Stills Nash "sounthern cross" and get that into her and your head. One never knows...

Before you know it you will have a sailboat and runabout and a coastal cruising motor yacht.

Now get busy on that Catalina 22.

-Greg
  18. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Doesn't need huge. Could be as small as your comfortable in. This is usually a series of short trips, although I'm less familiar with the West Coast so can't guess what each leg might be to get to the Canal. It can also be solved another way: enjoy the West Coast, then when you're ready, ship your boat overland to Texas. Best boats for that would be identified in the shopping stages; significant attributes would be about height and beam.

Range, and hull form. Sea Rays don't have the tankage. Nor do they have a hull form normally considered suitable for long distances (usually full or semi-displacement are preferred) or long-term (passage-length) comfort on big water. Good boats for their mission, but their mission is not passage-making. There ARE circa 50' motorboats capable of a trans-Atlantic voyage; many of the Nordhavn vessels come to mind. In fact, I think folks have crossed in their 40' and 46' models, too. Several other brands, too. You can use ************** to visually compare types.

Motorsailers, on the other hand, may be more suitable. But not fast.

-Chris
  19. g collis

g collis Member

Atlantic crossing in a 50' Sea Ray?????? Buy lots and lots of life insurance. INMHO.
  20. JiminSouthlake

JiminSouthlake New Member

A2B
    As stated by others, read everything you can find. This forum is an awesome resource.
    My wife and I sold everything 16 months ago and have been onboard full time since then. We had no previous boating experience and decided to buy our second boat first.
    We've cruised from NY to FL twice, Bahamas (Grand Bahama), and now to the west coast of Florida.
    We chose a 55' motor yacht with the ability to cruise economically at 10kts or run fast (24kts) when the weather changes or to make a bridge schedule.
    Make sure you have insurance lined up and committed before you pull the trigger. That was the most complicated part for us due to our lack of experience.
    Offshore to us is cruising 10-30 miles off the coast or crossing to the Bahamas. Crossing the Atlantic is not even a thought for us.
    Fuel and water capacity make your daily runs easier, allowing you to decide when to get fuel when its convenient (better prices etc).
    If you plan to live full time on the boat, there are several must haves that you should consider. Washer/dryer, 2 heads, back up systems (GPS, Nav, radios, refrigerators, freezer).
    We've learned a lot in the last 16 months and the journey has been incredibly rewarding.
    Good luck to you.