Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for MotorCheck

50 Post

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by jrp4783, Sep 20, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. jrp4783

jrp4783 Member

I just purchased a 2000 50' Post. I live in Michigan but will be leaving the boat down in Florida (where I purchased) for the winter. We took delivery of the boat this weekend and were able to enjoy a great weekend on it. The boat has 820HP MAN's and cruised beautifully on the ocean dispite a 20 knt wind. Coming from a Sea Ray 450 Express bridge, I was very impressed with the ride of the Post. I'm looking forward to many enjoyable years with the boat. Any general advice or interesting facts about the boat out there? Thanks!
  2. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Congratulations jrp !
    My friends that own 50's really love them.
    I hope you have many years of enjoyment with it.

Would you say the visability is a little better from the bridge ?
  3. Beau

Beau Senior Member

JRP

We've had ours for 11 great years. I can cruise at 1750 rpm/25 knots all day long. The oversized cockpit is a wonderful platform for evening cocktails and friends!
  4. jrp4783

jrp4783 Member

Thanks - Visability is excellent from the bridge. The enclosure needs to be updated so I'm thinking of replacing with EZ2CY.
  5. jrp4783

jrp4783 Member

I agree the cockpit is perfect for entertaining. What is your fuel consumption at that speed? Thanks
  6. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

I've had good luck with the EZ2CY on the our bridge.
    My first enclosure with it lasted almost 10 years before it needed replacing.
    We had it re-stitched twice over that time.
  7. Beau

Beau Senior Member

JRP

I don't know exactly, but I estimate around 40 gals an hour at 1750.

I have had good experience with ez2cy also. I have it on three sides, my back is open... No zippered openings in my side cutains, only the front.
  8. jrp4783

jrp4783 Member

MAN Maintenance

Hi Beau, How often do you have your injectors serviced on your MAN's? Also, I've read about a potential failure mode of the oil coolers where the gasket give out and dumps a significant amount of oil leading to a catastrophic failure. The preventitive fix is to replace the oil cooler housings. Did you do this on yours? Thanks.
  9. Beau

Beau Senior Member

JRP

Man calls for the injectors to be replaced every 200 hours. But personally I have only changed mine at the 400 and 1000 hour service, and will do it every 500 hours in the future. But I'm out of warranty.

I have not had any trouble with my oil coolers. What you may have heard is that the unique oil line adaptor bolted along the left side of the engine block facing the flywheel and just above the oil pan edge can fail with grave results. One of mine had a pretty bad leak from the gasket, twice. My other engine has had no similar problems (1300 hrs).

I check both periodically for any "weeping".
  10. jrp4783

jrp4783 Member

Beau, Thanks for the reply. I mentioned earlier that I was going to get EZ2CY installed. Do you happen to have any pictures of your bridge so that I can see how yours was installed? I'm wondering how to design it so that there is still access to the VHF anntenna bracket in case I need to lower them. Thank you.
  11. Beau

Beau Senior Member

JRP

I'll check if I have any photos. I unzip the corner zipper to lower my VHF Works pretty well for me. The side curtains are two pieces-the forward section is twice as wide as the rear section. The back is open. And in very hot climates, I take the rear section of the side curtains down too so the back third of the bridge is completely open.
  12. jrp4783

jrp4783 Member

Soot

Beau, I just ran my boat down from Lighthouse Point FLorida to Key Largo. First major run with the boat. Just had the 1000 hour service and noticed soot on the transom after the run. All of my previous runs were under 45 minutes of cruise time. I ran the engines at between 1650 - 1700 rpms. Do you ever experience soot on your transom? THe boat had an equal amount on both sides and existed mostly on the transom - ie. the cockpit was clean.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Every set of MAN's I've run preferred to cruise at, at least 1850rpm's and more-so 1900-1950rpms. I don't think they meter the fuel well enough down at 1650-1700rpms......I've run a 50' Post that way with the 800 mans, it never sooted the transom and they had 4000 hours on them.
  14. Beau

Beau Senior Member

JRP

Coincidently, since my 1000 hour service about 300 hours ago, I have been running soot on my transom too. Never had before. The engines seem to run fine, however. I range between 1700 and 1850 on my runs. I smoke more at the dock than I use to, also. I've talked to my mechanic and will be back at 1500 hours with an expectation that he will solve the problem. I'm mechanically challenged, but I suspect it has to do with the full set of injectors they put in and some relevant calibration. Could it be the low sulfur fuel we are now running?? If you solve your problem first, let me know.

Beau
  15. jrp4783

jrp4783 Member

Thanks Beau, I spoke with Performance Diesel in Texas and they were not concerned about the soot issue. They explained that anytime you do injector work on a mechanical engine like ours that the smoking characteristics can change (a little more, a little less). That compounded with running conditions, wind, waves, etc. can cause some light sooting. I am going to do one more test ride with my mechanic and make some additional measurements and just monitor the situation over time. I'll keep you posted.
  16. mikewheels

mikewheels New Member

I have just signed the papers on a 2000 50 Post with Mans, seems like they are selling this season. I am from Ohio and will keep the boat in North West Palm. Enjoy your Post, as I am sure to do the same.

I am planning to update the electronics to Garmin units and was wondering which material is recomennded to cover the instrument area? I can access aluminum, steel, or UHMW, and have it painted. I was thinking of two sections to cover the entire area.
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Why don't you have it fiberglassed instead of using something to cover the opening?
  18. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Steel?? on your beautiful console....
  19. captainscs

captainscs New Member

I own a 2007 and I think your 2000 is not going to be a lot different. Some guys use starboard to make a panel to cover the old holds and then right-size their new needs, however, you've just put some pretty good money in a really good boat. If I were you I'd loosen the money clip a bit and hire a really good fiberglass guy to do it for you. I'd be surprised if there's not a guru in WPB to take care of that for you and, if not, you're not that far from Fort Lauderdale = yacht center of the eastern seaboard for good work. Do it right.
  20. RT46

RT46 Senior Member