Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Glendinning Click for Northern Lights Click for MotorCheck

48' offshore yachtfisher, comments?

Discussion in 'Offshore Yacht' started by KtKev, Apr 13, 2011.

1. KtKev

KtKev New Member

My wife and I are looking at a '89 Offshore Yachtfisher with Cat 3208TA engines with 3121 hrs. Would like to hear any comments. thanks
  2. zulupearlv

zulupearlv New Member

Offshore Yachtfish 48'

KtKev..
    Older engines require good investigation [don't forget the gear box]`...oil samples, run her up to specs, ck her speed and top end..I have an 86' w/ 555 Cummins turbo...she is a wonderful older classic vessel and tons of [usable] space below and above decks..she is sea kindly, good size for two to handle in-out marina's when the wind may holler, one of the best [hull integuity, joiner work, plumbing, electrical] designs built in the far east...will out last you & the wife.. Give her a try.zpv
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

What horsepower CAT 3208's? Are they 375hp or 425hp? The 375's have a much better reputation for longevity. 3121 hours is starting to get up there, but I believe the 375hp will usually go 5-6000 hours before rebuilds. You can get 3208's rebuilt crate motors straight from Caterpillar and they're fairly reasonable though......Offshores have a very good reputation and 3208's are pretty good motors although you do have to have the cooling system serviced at the regular intervals on them.......