Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Mag Bay Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights

46 Post Steering ram

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by My Affair, Nov 27, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. My Affair

My Affair Member

what size is the steering ram, I cannot read the numbers on my 1988 46 Post, I want to install auto pilot and cannot read the K- number.

Thanks
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Usually, the AP just need a guide as the volume the existing system uses. Teleflex / SeaStar owns the remaining products and support of the old Hynautic systems. Go to their web site and match pictures for the model #.
    The install guides also mention the boat size to help size the AP pump.
    I can bet you a cup of old coffee, No matter what numbers come up, you going to order a common Type 1 pump.
    What brand AP are you shopping for?
  3. My Affair

My Affair Member

I'm looking at the Garmin units, however when I use their on line tool, it says I need the smartpump which appears to be overkill.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You can measure the length and width of the ram to figure out which steering ram you have. Each size larger is also usually physically larger.
  5. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

A lot of people go with the Simrad Autopilot, their online sight / guide provides a lot of information:

http://www.simrad-yachting.com/en-US/Products/Autopilots/AutopilotGuide/

Seems to be the preferred setup out here. We had a used Post 46 , somewhat rare for the West coast, and the autopilot set-up from the factory/dealer was marginal, with a lot of what I call wander or hunting, basically slow rudder feedback. Most of that can be improved with current technology, but the stock Post steering and rudder combination is pretty average. You could improve the system by upgrading the Steering with a Power Assist for Autopilots, it will improve the rudder response time:

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/products/hydraulic-new/power-steering-new/spa-autopilot/
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The only difference I can find in the smart pump (2.1) over the regular inboard bump (2.0) is it works with power assisted systems. Both operate 10 to 24 ci rams.
    The pump 1 (1.2) operates rams to 10 ci.

Keep in mind, 10 to 24 ci is a large cylinder. I was just reading some reviews where the 2 pump was over-sized and not working correctly and the 1 (1.2) pump was the fix.
    Other reviews say the 2 is fine on all sizes but I am reserved to agree with that.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I used to install RayMarine APs. Their plane (low tech and not smart) type 1 pump worked on about everything up to 50 foot fine. I did prefer installing them near the cylinder. I felt the rudder could respond quicker.
    So, I'm working on a customers 53 Southern Star, 1300 HP. There on the transom was a Ray type 1 AP pump, controlled by a Simrad setup. Owner reports it works perfectly.
  8. My Affair

My Affair Member

Thank you all for your comments. I'm going with Simrad AP70 System.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I was spoiled to the ole Robertsons stuff.
    When the Simrad AP stuff came available, It turned out to be good stuff also.
    I locked onto a AP25/26 setup ten tears ago for our Bert. Keeping the Robertson CR pump originally installed, It has been a great system. Newer AP 28 stuff on other ships work great also.

Don't know anything about the AP70. I'm sure, based on my past history, it will work fine.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Just looked the AP70 up. Looks cool.

Enjoy,
    rc
  11. My Affair

My Affair Member

thanks, it looks like a workhorse.
  12. My Affair

My Affair Member

Ok, I want to do part of the installation myself. Where would be a good place on the 46 to install the Simrad rc42 compass
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

You do not want to splice the signal cable. It will come back to haunt you. There is your max distance away from the AP control box.

Per typical instructions, as low as possible, center of ship and away from bilge pumps, sump pumps, compressors, blowers, batteries, generators and heavy power cables (ACv or DCv). That probably will not leave you with much choices left.

Even these fancy rate compasses still want the most comfortable spot on the boat.

I would start just forward of the engine room bulkhead, below the steps leading forward. Make sure there is nothing magnetic on the engine side of that bulkhead and away from forward bilge or sump pump.

With those thoughts in mind, some Post owners will be chiming in soon with an experienced location.
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Reminds me of an AP28 issue.
    I added a shower sump in the bilge of a customers boat. Rite next to a current bilge pump & behind a macerator pump.
    Did not relize the AP compass was a few feet away behind a hull frame (plastic boat bilge divider).

A few days later the owner was trying to explain this weird AP problem that had just started.

The AP worked with the original pumps, seems the combined magnetic strength after adding a lil Rule 800 was to much.
    From a skinny 4 feet to over 6 feet the compass was relocated and works fine now.
    I wish I could of moved it more, but no more slack in the signal cable.
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  15. My Affair

My Affair Member

I installed the entire autopilot in my last boat, Raymarine X-10, wasn't a problem...

I went to layout my rudder feedback back unit and transmission linkage. How do you mount the end to the rudder steering arm?

Second question, I have what appears to be connections for a autopilot pump in my engine room, is that too far to mount the pump?

If you installed, did you replace all the lines as the existing copper is pitted, not sure if I should try to flare the ends and create a manifold for the pump?

Anyone with Pictures of their autopilot pump and feedback unit installation?
    Thanks.