Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder

46 fuel tanks & head plumbing

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by 2lrep, Jul 30, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 2lrep

2lrep New Member

Hello Posty's,
    I have a 1995 46' that I bought last winter and am currently cruising the keys. I've got two issues I can't figure out. First, regarding the fuel tanks in the later 46's, it appears that I'm feeding both engines from the tank below the cockpit and the smaller tank ahead of the motors is just a reserve only available though transferring its fuel aft to the main, correct? Btw, does anyone know the capacities? Second, I cannot find a diverted valve anywhere for the holding tank/overboard discharge, any ideas where they hid it?
    Btw, I love this boat and I love all the attention and respectful comments we get.
    Thanks for the help, 2lep
  2. Davidoc

Davidoc Senior Member

I'm not sure of your fuel and holding tank layout but my 91 has 300 gal forward and 350 gal aft. The aft tank feeds the starboard eng and genset. The forward tank feeds the port eng. There is a fuel transfer pump in between the tanks. My overboard discharge sea-cock is under the companionway near the steps down on the starboard side. My holding tank is under the guest stateroom lower bunk. The drain hose is on the bottom port side of the tank and connects down and to the center of the companionway sea-cock. Maybe yours is similar. I do have to pull the steps out to get to the hatch below. If you are in waters that allow you dump overboard remember that Post designed the tank to dump when the boat reaches 5 to 7 knots. That creates enough vacuum to suck it out the bottom scupper.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

4. 2lrep

2lrep New Member

Thanks for the feedback. Through some further testing it appears that my forward tank is 150 and the rear is 500, I guess the later 46's dealt with the forward weight and balance issues by reducing the forward tank capacity while at the same time making room for the cockpit engine room access. I haven't had time to check out the diverter valve yet but it makes sense to me that it would be in the bilge area as my holding tank is under the master bed which is mid-ship to starboard.
    Thanks again!
  5. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

I have an older 46.

my holding tank gravity drain through hull is under the tank. there is no pump or macerator.
    The drain has a pedal type attachment that operates the through hull from the subfloor in the compartment under the forward portion of the salon.
    I never use it.

Also, my generator raw water pick up is under the subfloor in the compartment under galley. Its a pain to get to also, I have no idea why it was "hidden" in this compartment.
    I think is should be relocated to the engine room forward of one of the main engines.
    I owned the boat for at least a month before I figured out where it was.