Click for Nordhavn Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn

3HMF, Stamford diesel genset - SOLD!

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by Capt Ralph, Sep 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

It started life as a Kohler 8CCO diesel generator set. The Kohler electrical end failed and was replaced with a new Stamford BCI164B generating electrical end.
    A few months later, the generator would not start; it was removed from the yacht and stored.
    I purchased the set locked up but just wanted the electrical end. When I brought it home, I found it was powered by the famous Yanmar 3HMF engine.
    After further researching the 3HMF engine, I decided to rebuild the whole gen-set and have a great heavy duty back up generator.
    New pistons, liners, bearings & seals. Head rebuilt with new valves and springs. Injectors rebuilt. Brand new reduction starter and run solenoid.

This turned into a serious generator assembly. The newer Stamford end is rated at 11kw. The original Kohler end was rated at 8KW.

It was never used as a second gen-set on my boat and has been sitting in storage.

September 5 (near 2 years later), it came out of its current storage facility, a battery was connected, fresh fuel primed, a water bucket was filled with water for the raw water pump and within moments, it started right up.

Wow, what a fine sounding engine. Total time on engine SMOH, about 50 minutes.

It is covered in dust. The original Kohler engine tray has some rust. The engine has white paint. The Stamford end has original black paint.

For those that understand the 3HM engine family, you know it's a wonderful engine. The Stamford generator with its bomb-proof AVR will run forever.

I am running out of places to store it and plans for her have change. Other than a little cleaning up, it is ready to go.

I have all the Stamford, Yanmar and Kohler manuals on my computer that can be copied to a CD for your records.

Genset is located near Lakeshore and Roosevelt Blvds, Jax FL 32210. During Business hours, there is a forklift to lower the genset into your truck or van.

Genset weight is approx 500 lbs.

Buyer will arrange all shipping and handling at your expense.

Update, Sep 15;

Cleaned her up a little and took pictures & videos. Fired rite up and tested great. Total time on engine is now approx 1 hour, 30 minutes. I have updated ad with pictures, I'm not sure if I can get videos uploaded.

Under the cover are some instructions for 12 & 6 wire multi phase hookup. I just don't know enough about these things to answer 3 phase questions. If you have a question on 3 phase, please do ask and I'll do my best to answer. I hope the picture helps also.

Please remember, I built this gen-set for my self. Heavy duty, long life, dependable and simple. The alternator was upgraded with a high out put Hitachi. Todays test proved it brought a low battery up to 13.2 vdc. Gen-set was strapped for 115vac and today made 120.3vac no load.

My paint work almost two years ago was not perfect and shows today. This is was not meant to be a aerosol-overhaul, it was really rebuilt and you will not be unhappy with the engine.

Ad is in e-bay and Craig's list.

I can use a small dink whaler (or like) as partial trade.

Thx for looking.
    ,rc

Attached Files:

2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Offers?
    ,rc
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Sold
    Thanks for the calls.
    ,rc