Click for United Click for Burger Click for Llebroc Click for Westport Click for JetForums

380-hp Yanmar 6LY3-UTP Maintenance protocol

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by SeaEric, Feb 26, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Greetings all, I am a yacht broker representing a buyer in the purchase of a single engine sedan powered with a 2009 vintage 380-hp Yanmar 6LY3-UTP. The engine has 1700 hours on it. Her (original) owner has performed all of his own maintenance. The engineroom is clean as a pin and the mechanicals all look really good. My impression is that the service has been mostly oil changes and periodic water pump impellors and such basics. I asked the owner if the aftercooler had been apart and cleaned/serviced or flushed. It has not. As I read on the net, it would seem that valves should have neen adjusted by now as well. The owner is a capable guy and he has a detailed log since day one. I believe that he has done a good job with what he has done.

What else should we be looking out for (besides a Yanmar certified mechanic) prior to survey? Any tips or experience with this particular model and HP Yanmar that I can gather in advance would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I'd have the dealer come out and do the engine survey. They can quote prices which you can use to your advantage. I think that's it, but valve adjustment, aftercoolers, etc. should have been done a few times already as well as injector nozzles once I believe if memory serves me right. My lucky guess is that you're selling a mainship.
  3. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Good guess. Thanks for the info.