Click for Perko Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder Click for Furuno Click for JetForums

38 Riviera Restoration

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by homer1958, Nov 19, 2009.

1. q240z

q240z New Member

I found a fellow who's done punchwork for Weaver in Deale, and he'll work for$35/hr. I figured I'd toss some piecework at him and see how he does. Post the results of what your guy does. I'll be interested to see it.
  2. Shangri-La

Shangri-La Senior Member

I start rebuilding my cabin interior next spring. With the high unemployment in the NW Wisconsin area, I hope to find a cabinetmaker wanting to make a few hundred $$$ helping me with some of my ideas. The guy who helped me with my cabin top and windows only wanted $25 an hour but we put in a lot of hours. But he's no longer up there. But if someone is looking for some help in the Lenoir City, TN area, lookup John Winter. He does a nice job.
  3. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Joinery for Kenny...

Hey Kenny,

Homer here. Heck you live in one of the best places for good joinery I would think. Maine and North Carolina are two others, highest concentration of marine cabinet makers and good value. I had several in NC begging for this job, the only reason I did not go was it was the end of the year and a real pain to get there from Annapolis which is great for boat supplies but one of the worst places to get boat work done for several reasons. Burger is out of Manitowoc. Burger is America's Feadship. They have the best we have I think, certainly some of them. I would innovate, buzz Burger and see if they know a joiner who is in between jobs and looking. They certainly know a lot of them.
  4. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Q240z

Careful with punch guys.... Know that Weaver's interiors are built by Belcov in Annapolis on their computerized CAD. I never met a wood worker who said was was anythig but great. Weaver tends to have a bunch of Latinos working over there "so I heard," but do not know so am not saying this for sure... just have found Latino finish work to be not refined. Weaver makes a great looking machine.. out of my league, way out... those are for the lucky few, very few.

We just tore out some stuff the last guy did (the worst guy of all) and they were swearing at him and so was I. We always know in the end. I graduated that guy after two weeks thank God. If you got a good one, you will know fairly soon. The detail of their work in concert with how much is getting done per hour tells all. The other thing is reliability, marine trades are notorious for showing-up when they feel like it. If you can find a decent shop they work out of regularly increases your odds of consistent performance and not stressing out too much... maybe? Some craftsfolks think just because you have a nice boat you are a bottomless pit. We all know the truth to that. We pick them up at as junk for a reason.. not so sure that is smart either... Remember, boating is not a sport, it's a disease and needs to be treated as one.

Or.. just go out and buy a plastic boat everyone has with fake plastic wood cabinets... No Thanks.

Now, in all fairness to the quality trade folks, some things that appear easy can be a real time eater... depends on how rounded/detailed you want things and the unknown Gargoils that appear in the midst of an application. I do not like square corners on a boat. The factory Roamer was pretty much square... so not that complicated. Chris up until the early 70's mastered value, they did.. good strong hulls, great looks, pretty wood and did a good enough job to earn a decent reputation (Pre-Murray.. I do not think I will see Murray in Boat Heaven:) Watch what you get the first few weeks, for the most part, this is how the job will go all along. You have a very large interior.. that's a big job... Caveat Emptor. The 46 Roamer is a real beauty! I hope to be done early Winter and will let you know at this time how it went.
  5. Shangri-La

Shangri-La Senior Member

Unemployment up there is very high so I feel I'll find someone in the local area that will want to work with me. Burger is 100 miles south of me but Cruisers Yachts in Oconto, WI has been shut down for over a year and Carver Yachts is not far away in Pulaski, WI. They too have laid a lot of people off. These may be plastic boats but they had a lot of good skilled people working for them.
  6. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Hourly

How much per hour is it there roughly?
  7. watjam

watjam New Member

My 38 regal has what I would call "hard steering" especially up on the bridge.
    I read in your post that you have installed Seastar hydraulic steering. Would like to know how that went and what you could reccommend to make the job go smoothly.

Watjam
  8. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Steering

Well, the issue was that Roamer rudders were made of steel even if the boat was aluminum. Over the years the rudder posts will slowly get thinner until they bang around because the post is getting thin in the fitting. If your rudders are banging, this can be the beginning of the end and will need some work. If you look back there it is yucksville probably and also is a very good place too peak for some corrosion if yours is aluminum... watch for the white dust i,e. Since I have stuck my nose in every crack of my old girl, and she is 40 now (like a fine bottle of wine of course) tend to know the characteristics to be on the look for.

The Sea Star system is almost like power steering but not quite. The chain and bar system goes bye bye and simply a hydraulic line goes in. The rudders should be taken out and made out of stainless steel PERIOD. If you do not want them to leak, add PSS savers to keep your boat dry. Mine was
    done a few years ago but have never had any problems with it, nor can I tell you the cost today.

Since you are not in the Mid-Atlantic, nobody I could recommend of use, if you were here, I could tell you in a heartbeat. Suggestion, Call Sea Star and find out who they recommend in your region. Companies always know the good guys. Sorry I can't be of more help but the system is great, no worries there.

The other major Boo Boo was back then they used Galvinized tanks.. and they rust and can eventually clog your filters. We made new tanks years ago from S P tanks... no issue at all now, but there was because she sat dying ourside. This boat still only has 550 hours on it.. sure would like to get it done soon and on a positive note, it's not been easy and patience is a virgin.

Roamers, like an old Mercedes.. go on forever, but at certain points you need to rebuild stuff and get new parts.. rudders is one of them. Steel rudders in an aluminum boat was just dumb.

This boat still only has 550 hours on it.. sure would like to get it done soon and on a positive note, it's not been easy and patience is a virgin.
  9. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Rare 37 Aluminum Riviera Spotted For Sale!

Ok Roamer cultists... here is a new rare listing. She's aluminum and looks like one worth taking a look at if you are in the bushes waiting to grab one. Only thing I would say is slightly underpowered. The 427's perform much better.
    Good Luck and if anyone inquires please let us know the scoop on this one.

1965 is the first year of this model!! Very Very Rare 1965.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/1501338886.html
  10. Shangri-La

Shangri-La Senior Member

Homer, $ per hour or job will be something to be worked out yet in negotiations. I do a lot of bartering when I can.
  11. homer1958

homer1958 Member

What's complete in an hour?

I am not a big fan of hourly... it depends on honor and speed and how can you control that if you are not there? You need to know the person doing the work, their history and honesty. If it is going well, then fine, if not, then it is best to consider alternate arrangements. I have had some good and bad value and know it when I see it. I have been around the marine industry for over 40 years and have seen it all. You need to be able to look at a job done and calculate the reality of the true hours which means you need to have a handle on how much a job should take based on experience. Every man deserves to be paid for what is accomplished, no more, no less.
  12. Oneiros

Oneiros Member

Hi
    Certainly you must know who you want to do the job. my welder wanted $ 17 per hour. I thought it was ok.Here in Sweden, it is usual to make up for a fixed price.
  13. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Dr. Sweeden...

Did you notice your gal has a nice Bow... Transom too?

Ok, I do not know how to reveiw your photos. I do not have any steel experience... but to know are two things... strongest/heaviest. Also, the 37' steel and 37' aluminum ride and sit a bit differently... (curious haah?:)

For example: If you read the spec, the steel sits in the water 2" deeper. the steel hull weighs 4000lbs. YES, 4000 more pounds!

Here is the deal:

The steel is a stronger boat, "inherently." It rides differently. The bow does not ride as high (i.e more level) as the aluminum and at slower speeds, let's say 18MPH, the steel has more of a plowing look underway, the aluminum more of a riding a high bow on water top apearrance.

Dr. Sweeden... I share this with you (Fellow R. Cultist) because I was watching and loving Roamers back then.. in their peak 1967-1970 as a kid. Most Roamers where in the Great Lakes, two of the Finger Lakes and The Saint Lawrence Seaway. Recall, back then was the golden days of Detroit, Cars the world wanted. Ford, GM you know. Your Roamer was designed by a man named Dick Avery who Chirs Craft hired away from Ford. Your boat has been Fordized :) Dick is alive and well.

So, your bottom was a disappointment to you.. But, on the other hand... steel will have the bad pockets where water could have sat. So again, by isolating these spots, welding ect.. you are back to New.

Power in a steel Roamer is best higher, they weigh more of course. BUT, they can and do blast through big waves better than the aluminum. So again... each material has its pluses and minuses. I have been in the 38" aluminum in 12 foot seas on Great Lake Ontario. No problem... so you know, that part is good too.

Chow,

Homer
  14. homer1958

homer1958 Member

About your Engines...

: GM Detroit Diesel 8.2l

The 8.2 is a 4 stroke 500 cid diesel and the HP veries from I think 175 hp for non turbo to 300hp marine turbocharged intercooled. You can get rebuild parts from www.enginekitsonline.com

Manuals for these motors can be bought new online or used on Ebay.
    If you really want some info on these motors sign up for www.boatdiesel.com its 25.00 a yr but there is alot of info and people to help there. I hope this helps a bit.
  15. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Cabinet making....

A few of you have been writing private e-mails regarding cabinet work and other trades.

Here is a few pictures of Captain Sean's joinery. He is installing an Italian heavy duty lockset and port light.

New photos will appear as things progress. I shall let your eyes decide and vote.

Attached Files:

16. Oneiros

Oneiros Member

YES Aluminum is lighter but I was so araid and did not find a good ex.steel is an easier material to work with and it is easier to weld.
    Oh yeah, we were out in an autumn storm here on the bay of botnia the sea was high, but she took it easy.
    okay my first encounter with a Chris Craft was when a friend bought her one comander38 1985
    yes there were times.has always loved classic cars amerkanska bought my first chervrolet 1976 a 63 Impala two door. here in Sweden there are many people who like classical american cars.jag has also ownet some chrysler understand that you like Ford.
    Well that was a fixer, I knew it would be rost.men the worst thing was that the Swedish guy who helped me with the boat purchase set me at $ 5000. But now it's history.
    Oh yeah, have isolated everything above the waterline with Armaflex well against condensation and then there's so quiet in the boat.
  17. Oneiros

Oneiros Member

Well had hoped Cumin engines there is much more capable they engines here in Sweden. I had to refurbish them and previous owner had not driven so much with the boat but the engine compartment has been in the water.so two cylinders was damaged, I drove with the boat one season but one engine, white smoke with.bought engine parts on ebay.internet is amazing my is the 230hp and I can get up to 26 knop.And it is enough for us.
    thanks so much for your tips it so well to have contact with other boat owners.
    Now I am chasing the antenna to my whf.Vill have a long antenna that sits on the starboard side
    Regards Erik
  18. homer1958

homer1958 Member

New Bow Design!

We decided to get rid of the vee birth and come up with a double bed. It is great sideways.. plenty of room. Note the hand made bow anchor locker. It will have a back- lit mirror with the Chris Craft Logo etched in the mirror. It opens and closes on a piano hinge.

Note the drawers but we did take out the two closets and lost this space but we gained a larger boat, drawers, chair and an open look. If you look on top of the drawers, you will see the future flat screen TV wall that is designed for a 23 inch Samsung. Thank God I waited, the price of the TV is 1/3rd what it would hve been a few years ago.

I would say overall, we gained about 25% more space in the boat more than the factory design. We used every inch we could find and the tolerances are that tight.

It sounds crazy, but there were no plans, no nothing but my head, a pen and a few napkins. It happend to work out real well.

If you look closely you will see the side walls are cold-molded. Note the curvature, it also increase the bow size. In sum, we built into the hull and found a ton of dead space that is now living space... more open, more bright.

The windows were taken out and a 10 pound porthole that opens was put in its place. Again, had to buy it in China and it cost not much over $100.

3M Thinsulate is behind it for insulation and quiet. Chris Craft had no insulation whatsoever on the walls or the ceiling. Well it does now and Thinsulate will not mildew.

Attached Files:

19. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Like the Chicken business.. "parts is parts"

Dr. Sweeden,

There are two places in the USA to get Chris Craft Roamer parts in mass.

1) LPX/ Jim Wick www.chrisparts.com

2) Marine Sales/ Earl Sthilson www.marine-sales.com

Both Jim and Earl worked at the Factory when your Roamer was being made.
    They both bought all the parts and have very large supplies of parts for your Roamer. This has bee a savior for fellow Roamer cultists.

Thes guys can answer any Roamer question you have.
  20. homer1958

homer1958 Member

One Way Mirror Porthole

Well, in keeping with doing cool and unusual things.. the door weights 45 pounds... the porthole is a two way mirror... you can see out, but you can't see in. Note the extra width of the door vs. the factory. Again this opens her up and gives a lot more space since th door disappears.

Attached Files: