Click for Westport Click for Comfort Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger

29' BlackFin with 454 Crusader Fuel Issues

Discussion in 'General Sportfish Discussion' started by Ryanhags11, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Ryanhags11

Ryanhags11 New Member

NEED ADVICE.
    My STBD 454 crusader engine idles rough and boggs out after putting it into gear. I have growth in the fuel tank which has caused me to have to change my rear fuel filters on numerous occasions.
    This usually fixes the issue until the tank is low or the ocean is rough mixing all of the sediment up and into the fuel line.
    This time, I changed them out but the STBD engine will not run for more than 5 minutes. I poured gas into the throttle body and it fired up and ran for maybe 10 minutes the first time but as soon as it goes into gear.. dead.
    On another note (maybe no correlation) i have a belt screeching when I try to rev the motor in neutral to get the RPMs up (the RPMs dont rise above 1100 no matter how much throttle is given. Seems like starvation.
    Does checking the internal filters make sense?
    Checking for any obstruction in the fuel line?
    Could it be an injection issue through the throttle body's electrical issue?
    Could we have a cylinder misfire?

Thank you!
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Some of the original Gen5s had belt driven fuel pumps. Avoiding a long history lesson on MK/Gen LBCs, you have to trust me on this.
    Would you have your owners manual? Check fuel pump problems.
  3. Ryanhags11

Ryanhags11 New Member

Thanks rcrapps!
    However, I checked the fuel pump and internal filters yesterday. they look alright.
    BTW, the fuel pump is electric on the '96 crusader. I should have mentioned the year in my original post.

Thanks again.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Next thoughts, electric fuel pump. If it looks like an in-line mini torpedo, they do fail.
    The belt screeching could be the alternator trying to recharge the worked over battery.
  5. Ryanhags11

Ryanhags11 New Member

The noticed the fuel pump was operating and on as the key was turned to enable the electronics. Anymore ideas where the battery could be overworking? does the electrical connection to the throttle body have a significant impact on the load?
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Cranking the engine is the load. Alt trying to recharge the battery (if it the alt belt slipping). Check belt tensions and pulleys for rust.

Fuel pump can run but still not pump. Time to crack the output line open and try to pump into a can.
    Throttle body is pretty solid.

**** Oh, I remember a issue long ago. do you have plastic boxes mounted between the risers and TBI? The right box has push button breakers on it?

Remember, you are dealing with gasoline. The fuel and fumes should be handled like dynamite. If you not sure what your doing, call in a REAL gas engine tech.