Click for Delta Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Comfort

24v 5 Pin Relay Purposes

Discussion in 'Cabo Yacht' started by CSkipR, Jun 23, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Our 24v macerator pump quit working yesterday while we are in the Bahamas. When checking the pump wiring for voltage I found a 24v 5 pin relay that apparently is bad. I have jumped the relay and have the pump working but was curious the reason for the relay. Does it provide extra voltage protection or something similar?

Capt J when you were running Cabo's did you run the blower fans or not when cruising? Saw the prior tech discussion and wanted your input. Thx
  2. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

The relay can handle the pump current. The switch operates the relay and the relay operates the pump ame whatever else. Switch is prolly not rated for the pump load.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I cannot remember for sure, but think the relay has a wire that goes to the seacock so if the seacock/handle is not open, the pump will not pump as a safety for the pump.

The newer ones, off at cruise as leaving them on usually ingests more salt into the engine room on the Cabo's. Also depends on the HP of the engine in each model. For example, the 45' express origionally came with 660HP Cats, then could get 800's then as high as 1100 hp Mans.....with 660s or even 800's running the blowers, the airbox's still kept the engine room pretty salt free. With 1100's between the CFM's of what the motors took at cruise and what the blowers took, it would make the engine room salty.