Click for JetForums Click for Westport Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for Walker

2005 cat 3412e Problems @120 hrs?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by KCHARLES2, Sep 2, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. KCHARLES2

KCHARLES2 New Member

I have a sheared rocker arm, bent push rod, hydro locking, scratches on the head wall? Salt water has filled the exhaust up to the turbo, and 5 gallons of salt water in my oil pan. What happened here?:confused:
  2. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

How long since the engine was last turned over prior to this mess happening?
  3. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Hmmm,
    Sheared rocker arm, bent pushrod, are from hydro lock, getting a fluid in the cylinder (can't compress a fluid like you can air). What fluid, salt water or antifreeze? You say salt water in oil pan, is that in addition to oil or is oil gone? How about a blown head gasket (cause of hydo lock) but also failure of heat exchange (allowing salt water into engine). Or the turbo spun backwards and sucked up salt water via exhaust. Any more details? Either way, engine shot if you actually had salt water in oil. That means salt in bearings, pump, through system. What are the warranty terms? Did you recently have any work done to the engines (like exhaust work)?
    Capt Tom
  4. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

I ran into (figureatively ;) ) a captain on a Lazarra last week who was having lots of trouble with one of his brand new CATs.
    Turned out that someone at the factory grabbed the wrong handful of valves and put low perfomance (farm grade??) valves in this high performance engine.
    Lots of rattling and clanking apparently.
  5. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

I had a similar issue in 2001, Catapillar were very good about dealing with it though they would not tell me exactly how or why we had the failure other than it was a fractured valve stem.

However water in the engine is an entirely different matter. Did this happen on start up ??
  6. KCHARLES2

KCHARLES2 New Member

CAT 3412E Problem

The boat was purchased new in 05 and winterized. She sat for 11 months in NYC until Aug 06- we splashed her with 102 hrs. and Ran 20 hrs on both engines.
    I found antireeze splattered on the fwd engine room in front of the expansion tank,
    Turbo blow back is possible
    No Oil Lost, I checked the stick to find 6" up the dipstick Rise
    not sure if it is antifreeze or salt water?
    Rust is already forming when we scoped the head wall.

Warranty is in good standing Cat is handeling things very well; however as soon as I mentioned "new engine replacment" cat got extremly defensive.
    Removing the engine to work on it seems to be my next hurdle, riping it apart in our engine room to examine the problem isn't going to work, minimal space 12" clearance ceiling, no clearance under the oil pan floor, Who pays for that?
  7. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

My experiance has been that Cat will pay for the work on the engine but not removal and re-installation, after all they were not in control of that when the boat was built.
  8. Billy1119

Billy1119 Senior Member

Wow, what a disaster... I've had very few problems with our 3412's, although they're 6 years old... Hope I never have to deal with this, because the warranty is long gone. I don't have any thoughts on how it could have occurred that wasn't already mentioned, so sorry I'm not helpful, but I wish you the best of luck getting things handled with CAT.

Oh, should be easy to check if it's antifreeze in the oil - see how much antifreeze is left in the engine. Unless, of course, "I found antireeze splattered on the fwd engine room" is a LOT... I'm sure you did this already though. :) But considering the size of the oil pan (18 gallons, I think), it'd take a lot to move it 6 inches up the stick.
  9. TSI AV

TSI AV Senior Member

Hi,

Only 120 hrs ???!!!

CATs, indeed...

1. Check out for cracks / leakages in air cooler after turbo.
    2. If a turbo case is cooled by water, check turbo case as well.
    3. Cracks in cyl. heads /liners / block. (as worst scenario).

rgds,

Andrei
  10. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

KCHARLES2:

You might also wish to take a close look at your insurance policy which, even if the motor was out of warrantee, say on a boat older than yours, there are clauses which cover mechanical issues.
    BTW, no room underneath to remove the pan? Dumb designwork there :eek: